Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Kitchen Memory Book

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 195 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 976.7 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 361.8 Money Found For Food Bank: $5.78

Christmas Tree Bird Assault Status: Cat: 4 ; Bluebird of Happiness, 2. Might have to find a new hiding spot.
'Game On' called on 12/6/14 when bird was placed in tree. Points earned by cat removing bird or bird staying in tree overnight.

Yay for Rest Day!! It's been a great Thursday over here although I have to admit I'm just whipped! It was a fun, full day off of running, and it hasn't stopped yet! But, I did have to put the breaks on the day to make a little dinner, and that gave me a wee window to jot some thoughts!

Dinner tonight is the amended recipe of Hungry Girl's Exploding Chicken Tacquitos (wow, did I really come upon that recipe in 2012?!! Time has flown!!). To be honest, I'd totally forgotten about this recipe until taking on a little project over Thanksgiving. You see, when we got married, Aaron's mom compiled a cookbook where she solicited recipes from family and friends. Over the years, we've overhauled the book weeding out some pages (for reasons including: we never liked that recipe; we'll never make that recipe, and we don't like that person recipe) while keeping others. From childhood memories to keeping a recipe just because it's in my dad's handwriting to would eat the crap out of that on a daily basis, we have a pretty solid book reflecting us right now.

The problem has been that many recipes we like have been hastily written on scrap paper, many without so much as a title on them. So, over Thanksgiving, I started the process of decoding and rewriting the mystery lists of ingredients as well as putting pictures that I've taken to go along with many of the recipes, handwritten or printed from the internet.
Notes on Post-it and picture to be incorporated on to recipe
page. I think that's what Christmas Break will be for ...
It's been a fun process especially when I come upon so many easy recipes I just forgot about (hence, tonight's dinner!) It's also been nice to update the tricks I've found to work for me so I don't have to keep remembering how to actually make it the way we like it/it's easiest. For instance:
Even green bean casserole needs some customized help for
some of us ...
This tacquito recipe is sooooo super good! It's also good running fuel, and that sets me up well for the morning! So, here they are almost ready to get into the oven:
... while, on the other side of the counter sit these:
No need to jot the notes about these; those directions live on the box just the way I love it!

And, tomorrow? It's the birthday run ... I'll see you after!

No comments:

Post a Comment