Thursday, July 24, 2014

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

And, a very happy Thursday to you!! I hope yours started off just right!! Mine started by sleeping in! WAHOO!! Sometimes, that seems to backfire, like I'm starting the day off behind. But, today was entirely a different story. I needed the sleep, and I hit the jackpot with an extra 2 and a half hours! YEAHHHH SUMMER!!

Clearly, it's a Rest Day, and I decided it's the perfect day to share something from the kitchen compliments of Pit Crew #2 (and her love of The Food Network and recipe research)! On Sunday, PC#2 pulled out a recipe she's been itching to make us, got the ingredients with Aaron, and went to work solo in the kitchen (and part of a duo at the grill!) with something all four of us loved! And, that's not an easy feat!!

The outcome looked like this:
And, here's how she got there ...

$50,000 Chinese Chicken Burgers (full recipe here)
2 pounds ground chicken
2 T soy sauce
2 T sugar
1 T sesame oil
6 cloves garlic
1 T lemon grass, fresh & minced
5 green tops scallions, chopped

Here is her first go at making burger patties:
The recipe says it makes 6 burgers, but PC#2 made 8, and
they were the perfect size for everyone to have 2.
And, here's the first stab at the grill:
I couldn't help but wonder if Aaron was so eager to work with
her at the grill because he knew she would clean it. hahahaha!

They grilled the patties for about 7 minutes a side (up to an internal 165 degrees is the key to avoid food poisoning), and they were wonderful !!!
I ate mine sans bun but with my toppings on the side. I stab
a piece of pickle and a piece of tomato on my fork, then add
meat before dipping in ketchup. Buns just get in my way.
And, there's our girl, master chef!
And, there's a disappointed dog knowing
she's not getting anything.
I'm not a huge fan of the white meat of the chicken unless it's made into something. I know it's good for you, blah blah blah, but it's not tasty enough for me to eat by itself. Believe when I say this burger more than did the trick to dress up the chicken! The only thing I would, personally, add is a little bit of salt, but I think that could easily be added to taste after they're cooked.

The link above also includes the story behind the recipe, suggestions for sauces and another recipe for its suggested side, rainbow slaw.

Five days later, and I think I've craved having one of these every day! That was the best indicator that I had to share it! And, it's good for you! Bonus!

Tomorrow the roads and I have a date in the morning, so I'll check in after the morning run! In the meantime, perhaps I should get to the store and get more ground chicken ...!!

2 comments:

  1. I have put this on the menu for next week -- will let you know what the Martins think!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're making them again tonight ... mmmm ... I hope you enjoy!!

      Delete