Friday, July 4, 2014

Celebrating Freedom With a Run!

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 104 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 497.4 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 243.5 Money Found For Food Bank: $35.31

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!! I truly love this day for exactly what it means!! Happy Birthday, America!! 'So thankful for our freedoms!!!

I'm also happy to report that everyone who was injured yesterday is free of lingering consequence today: Pit Crew #2 suffers no reportable damage or issue from the great spring-from-the-swing incident yesterday, and while under my eye is rather sore, that's all there is to it. I'm still irritated that I don't get to sport a badge of courage given that it is sore, but whatever. I guess that's not attention I need, huh?!

So, on with business everyone went today which included a morning outing for me and the pup!! I can't believe we woke up on July 4 to a 62-degree morning, but we did, so we pounced!! I made certain Elly had her most patriotic leash (aka: red), and I brought along a flag to carry!
Yes, I carried it the entire 4.5-mile route. It wasn't that big of a deal; I'm so used to carrying stuff that this was nothing. And, it evoked a few honks of American pride plus shout outs from bicyclists joining in on the spirit. Everyone wins!

Oh, and I also sang the same song to myself the entire way: Lee Greenwood's Proud To Be an American. Of course, I only know the main verse. Yeah, I'm one of those who hears the words and is all, "Oh, yeah, now I remember that!" so, if I'm singing along, I'm a word or two behind until the main lyrics, then I'm all about it! Anyway, I never got sick of hearing in my head, "I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm freeeeeee ..." and, " 'Cuz there ain't no doubt I love this laaaaaaaand !! God bless the USAAAAAAAAAAA !!" over and over and over and over and over ...!

We only had one disruptive moment on the run which is when a dog bigger than Elly came bounding at us from its home. It was a good 10 pounds bigger than Elly and looked part Malamute-part Shepherd (yeah, great). It had bea-u-ti-ful ice blue eyes, and I know this because I stared right into them as I challenged it to retreat. Fortunately, I posed enough of a threat to it that it did (and, I will spare you of my thoughts at the fact that its owner made barely a half-hearted effort to kind-of-sort-of suggest to the dog that it return to the yard). The dog tried one more time, much more timidly than the first, to approach, but I was having none of it, and it went away.

Elly was right there to back me up, though ...
"Is it gone? I MEAN, I'll get it, mommy!! You know I can!!"
The rest of the run was simply lovely. It did get a little hot especially in the last half mile (more for Elly than for me), but it was the kind of weather where there was no need for a walk break for human nor beast!
"No need to stop, mommy!! Let's just do
this and get 'er done!!"
Tomorrow brings about one more run for the week where I will hit my goal and bank another two and a half miles for later potential use! Whee!! (Oh my goodness, here's to hoping I did all of the math right because I'm really starting to dig this schedule ... !!)

In one last order of business, BIG HUGE SHOUT OUT to our nephew who ran a 10K today in just under 43 minutes (whuuuuuuuuuut ?!) taking first in his age group (I should say so!)!! As Elly and I headed out this morning, I included in my prayers the following: "And, please watch over him for a safe and fun run ... even though he's probably finished by now ..."!

Yes, but did he carry a flag with him the entire way? AND, did he find 58 cents along his route? (Um, he was going too fast to see it ...) He's amazing. And, oh the difference a few years makes, huh? Yeah, just a few ... hahahahahahahaha!

With that, it's time to continue forth for the Fourth!! Enjoy your celebrations, and be safe! I'll check in after tip-toeing through a morning route certain to be strewn with the aftermath of tonight's celebrations!! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment