Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Key To Success: Distraction.

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 117 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 562.6 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 273 Money Found For Food Bank: $38.50

Yesterday's leg theme was on fire. Today's is feels like Jell-Oooooo. Ouchie, mama, I just got up a second ago and was all, Hey, I'm a baby giraffe! The end of the story is I took advantage of an out-of-nowhere desire (that one being key) to run almost two miles farther today than my scheduled five. I did have an incentive with the massive amount of parking meters I would pass by doing so, so, it was kind of a no-brainer since I had the time to take it on. It totally paid off, too. See?!
93 cents, baby. Booyah !!
See, it all adds up because I not only go to target-rich environments, but I also do things like wait on sidewalks until it's safe to step into the street to retrieve such little gems ...
Okay, the thing about waiting along this particular road is that
it is really, really busy, and it's really, really clear that even
though I'm trying to give off every visual clue that I'm not
wanting to cross the street, there are drivers who are clearly
questioning my intentions. I'm even backed up from the street
and not looking at anyone, and some still slow down like, "I
will slow down for you, but I really can't stop. Oh, and I
have no control over the other three lanes of traffic, so best
of luck to you."
I will wait quite a while for it to be safe to get such a thing. I look at it as a nice water break!

And, water I needed again this morning because the sun was beating down early!
If that tower were just a smidge taller, I could have utilized its
shadow while waiting for the light. No such luck. But I did
get the moon-hits-your-eye-like-a-big-pizza-pie verse of That's
Amore stuck in my head. Although, the sun in your eye
doesn't inspire the same emotion ...
The thing is, there was a breeze going on that kind of faked you out upon stepping outside. But, I listened to the weather before heading out, and the report was high humidity for this morning. Again, another reason to leave Elly behind (in addition to making sure she's healed up), but don't tell her that I saw these ...
That's a dog for you ... so happy to be with its owner that the
weather almost doesn't matter ...
Okay, so, as usual, I was distracted by just about everything around me (like these ...)
Smelled so good I could actually taste it as I ran by!! That
meant picture on the way back!
... which also means I wasn't -- as usual -- entirely focused on running itself. That worked well for today because not only did I go longer for some random reason, but, I was kind of over it before I started today. I've grown accustomed to this 5-day running gig and even to the idea of all of those days being in the ballpark of five miles. But, that doesn't mean I don't look forward to Wednesday's run being finished so I can not run on Thursday (that's TOMORROW).

This schedule continues for two more weeks! After that, the miles change up, and the running schedule is four days! Right now, I'm looking forward to that!!

Do what you need to keep yourself motivated! Remember, when you do something your way, that means you get to decide what makes it fun! Rest Days are fun for me, so I'll check in from there tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment