Friday, July 18, 2014

Unexpected!

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 113 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 541.4 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 273 Money Found For Food Bank: $36.63

Happy, happy Friday!! Well, not so happy for all ... check this out ...

So, as planned, Pit Crew #2 and I got up to get out and run this morning. We even managed to get up and out at our target time even though we had serious issues getting out of our beds! Anyway, you can guess Elly was all ready to go as well, and, we took off.

Now, yesterday was my virtual running partner extraordinaire's birthday, and I told her I was running for her today to celebrate! I spent our first two miles not only chatting with PC#2 (as we both worked on waking up) but also how to signal to Mary Kate, in picture form, that we were thinking of her!

Yeah, you're not going to see that because the run took an unfortunate turn. No, not for me. And, not for PC#2. Elly got her first running injury!!!

All I know is that PC#2 and I were about to enter a parking lot when we saw a large delivery truck maneuvering in front of a store (don't be afraid: there is no truck vs. canine report to be told! WHEW!). We stopped for a minute to make sure we didn't step in its path, and, after figuring out where it was going versus where we wanted to, PC#2 and I started back up.

The minute I started moving, the truck started backing up which not only made its noises more pronounced, but the back-up beeper started. At the very same time, I heard Elly let out a little yelp, and I assumed it was in response to the sudden truck noises. We all know how much she hates big trucks, so, it made sense until about 100 yards later when I looked back at her, and she appeared to be limping. Upon further investigation, I confirmed she was!! One of her back legs was most definitely hurting her!

I had no idea what happened, and I can only guessed she tweaked a muscle. But, I did know the running pace was over, and we would be walking the rest of the way home.
There she is keeping up on our very, slow
stroll. At that point, that was all she could
do even though she had spurts of trying to
go faster. I wouldn't have let her even if she
could have, but her effort never lasted.
The good that came out of all of this was that with our pace slowed way down, PC#2 and I capitalized on the unexpected talk time! We also detoured from our regular path and stumbled upon a lovely flower patch. A picture was required!
As the day has gone on, Elly is taking it easy, but she will be fine in a few days. Stairs are fine, she just needs to walk them one at a time. She's not moving fast, but she's moving without wincing. WHEW!! And, as PC#2 noted, she can now participate in her very favorite activity as though it's doctor's orders: Resting!

So, that was the Friday adventure! Happy Birthday, Mary Kate!! I planned for PC#2 and I to give you an M and a K in sign language ... so, close your eyes and picture it! We meant well!

Up and coming! Elly just got herself a week off, PC#2's schedule is about to shift for a bit, so she'll be ditching me next week, and I plan to shake things up with some different routes! But, that's next week -- there's one more run tomorrow morning, and I'll check in after! Have a great slide into your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. AAaaack Ellie hurt on the birthday run?!?! NOOOOOO!!!

    PS - I close my eyes and I can totally see Aaron and the M and you and the K

    ReplyDelete