Thursday, March 13, 2014

Relentless, I Am

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 44 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 161.3 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 80.1 Money Found For Food Bank: $17.92

Here's how I was feeling along most of today's 10 miles:
A rabbit on the molasses ... yeah, I get the irony. But, still.
It's like this: I could definitely push my leg and its muscle issues a little more without any fear whatsoever of hurting it further. My back, however, is another issue entirely, so, when it flares up, I do everything I can to treat it like the diva its acting. I am not the least bit interested in worsening a back pain, so slowing down is just the name of the current game!

I was almost at the end of my run when I was out of water, so I stopped in a store for a refill. That's where I saw (and, evidently, bonded with the spirit of) the molasses. It's also where I scored some big, huge bank!
Added to the rest of the route's stash, that's a total of $1.28 today, by the way. Crazy-awesome!!

Today's run just kind of hurt. I enjoyed being out there to a point, but most of my time was spent looking for and finding money, screw this running thing making sure I was not only taking care of my back but also that I wasn't over-compensating for it in such a way that I strain something else. Yeah, good times!! But, for real, it's okay. And, I think a slow run was better for me than nothing at all, so keeping my mental game in check is totally worth it.

Right at the end of my run, I was feeling a bit sluggish and purposely got on board with how this next Half is going to go. In all likelihood, I'm about to turn in a time that comes close to my worst one ever which I produced during a Half that I was simply not well conditioned mentally or physically to take on with any hopes of, er, speed (as it ever is for me). But, unlike that run where I'm sure I felt I had something to prove to someone (a wee bit insecure, was I?!), I only want to do the very best I can at April's. I'm already proud I haven't quit. Relentless, I am.

And, apparently, I channel Yoda.

While noting my feelings of being whipped, I also embraced the fact that I was choosing not to get down on my body. I mean, I could very easily go the route of how much my leg sucks or that my back is a biznatch, but it's awfully difficult to criticize the very machine that just took me across 10 miles. In fact, such bemoaned thoughts feel really wrong, like I'm betraying my own self. No thanks ...

So, here's the end shot where I wanted to prove it is possible to dig deeper than you really feel like, wipe yourself out when you had the choice to do otherwise, accept and work around work-aroundable pain, and live to smile about it:
Orrrr, am I simply smiling because I'm
finished ... it's a tough call!
With 10 miles in the books, I have two days ahead of me with a break from running!! I'll check in and let you know what I do with those!! Enjoy your slide into Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment