Thursday, March 6, 2014

Make the Promise, Then Honor It

I know I've been all over the place these last few weeks (months) one day being UP about running then, the next day, to be ANNOYED about running, or about having goals that excite me only to turn around and say, "Yeah, that's probably not going to happen," (only to suspect I'm still going to give it a shot ...). It's been annoying and sometimes confusing for me to even get a handle on how I feel on any given day, so I can only imagine I'm not a first-class ambassador of the activity right now.

But, what I am is real. For all the very positive things I can say about running, this Winter in particular has provided me a list many miles long (because I often think about it over many miles) as to why it would just be easier to bag the whole thing until ... well, I don't really know until when  because there's always going to be something ...

Which is, of course, my point. The fact is, so long as I have a whole other life in which I want to participate outside of running, then there's no perfect time to wait to arrive. No matter when I do it, to make this happen, I need to get up earlier than I want (waaaaaa!!), work around schedules and change my own ...
Yeah, that 10-miler just keeps on moving ...!
... do my job, play with my family, give some lovin' to a few pets, continue to develop and foster friend relationships ... And, if everyone's lucky, I'll probably grocery shop before the cupboard is bare, but I might not get the house clean all at one time.

You gotta have you're priorities, amiright ?

I'm just saying that lately it's been difficult for me and, I'm certain, for many. But, I'm also saying it can be done. I made the promise to myself, and I go from there. That promise translates into shifting things around, but it does not include bringing things to a screeching halt. No matter how tempting!

I'll check in after tomorrow's long run! (See? It's up there on the ol' calendar ... not moving anywhere, just staring at me ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment