Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Positives

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 40 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 127.8 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 65.8 Money Found For Food Bank: $14.16

Okay, there were some positives today. First, it was 15 degrees when I headed out. I know, I know ... heat wave ...! With no wind, 15 felt excellent. For real. You know I normally like the cold. I'm just a bit over it at this point!
This truck is all, "Hey, ice! No need to get all up in my grill!"
This truck is well versed in the street talk.
I can hardly believe I'm agreeing with this, but ...
The next big positive today was that focusing on the upcoming Half in light of yesterday's "lighten up on myself" revelation really helped on this morning's run. At this point, there is nothing I can do to completely break through the doldrums of the cold, and I can't make my body completely heal any faster than it's going to do on its own. So, the choice I have is to embrace exactly where I'm at and make the best of what's coming. This was the perfect mindset for this morning as the first two miles felt creaky and sluggish and bleh. However, I scored big bank in those first two miles (the hefty majority of today's 96-cent score), so there's good with the bad!

Elly and I plodded out those four miles and ended way better than we started. Yet, another positive!
Yay, us!
For continuing on and not giving up, I stopped at the store on the way home and bought celebratory, on sale strawberries!
No, that's not a picture from the store ... those are in my house.
And, they won't last long!
Giving up was not even on the radar. Wait ... that's a lie, it kind of was because it's always hanging out there as an option. And, on days like today (Winters like we've had), it is more tempting. However, the commitment to myself, to the dog and to the warmer days that are coming, giving up isn't an option. But, just because it's not an option doesn't mean it's not to be celebrated!! WooHoo!! Pass those berries!!

Oh, and in random but relevant news, I was skimming through Facebook when I read a post by someone who has run the Rock the Parkway Half in the past. She was soliciting friends to join her noting it was a great course for someone's first Half because it "doesn't have as many hills and has great medals." It was the hills part, or lack thereof, that made this training's-been-a-b*$&%^ runner's heart happy! I thought I'd heard that before I registered, but it was nice to hear from someone who has been there!

Tomorrow, we keep on keepin' on with the week's short run! Celebrate whatever victory you experience today, and I'll check in after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment