Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Managing the Mind

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 50 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 189.5 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 102.1 Money Found For Food Bank: $19.62

Holy moly, there was some wind today!!
It clearly makes no difference how sick of the cold all of us are; it just keeps on comin'!! So, Elly and I bundled up ... wait ... I bundled up, and out we went for a smooth five miles!

The route did not lend itself to finding any treasures, money or otherwise, but it was a good one in terms of challenge (duration of hills) and testing my endurance as it is -- or is not -- at more of a race pace. It's not that I ever race, per se, but I did want to see where I'm really at so I know how to mentally coach myself in a couple of weeks.

It turns out that all systems fired rather well, but I'm not sure today's pace can keep up at more than double the distance. That's fine, I just have to figure out what to do about that from the beginning of the race so I'm not a withered specimen by the time I make my way across the finish line! One of the particular challenges of these things is coaching yourself in a way that you know best amidst the massive amount of adrenaline that just oozes from every direction. It's easy to get caught up in that, so I think this upcoming run will put my mind to the test more than my body until I settle in after the first couple of miles.

While I actually focused today (I know ... weird), Elly did the site seeing for us. Doesn't she look like one of those focused hunting dogs waiting to pounce its prey?
"I'm a lover, not a fighter, mommy. You know that. Ooo ... bird!"
She'll be pleased in the morning as she joins me for the week's short run! Then, there are two Rest Days until the longest run of the training schedule slated for this weekend! I'll check in tomorrow with the wind down before the wind up! See you then ...

No comments:

Post a Comment