Saturday, March 15, 2014

It's Not the After, It's the During

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 45 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 166 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 84.6 Money Found For Food Bank: $18.16

I had every intention of taking the opportunity to sleep a little later and not run today. But, given how this round of training has gone, who's really surprised that that's not what happened?!? I mean, really ...

What happened was, first of all, a seed was planted in my head yesterday when I heard Sunday's weather is supposed to tank. Even though the morning temperature is supposed to be the high for the day, it all just made me groan. I would have put up with that, but I woke up earlier than I expected today, so I applied the lesson I learned last weekend about going ahead and moving instead of trying to make myself fall back asleep, and I got myself on out there!

Of course, I wasn't alone ... our persistent pound hound was not about to let that happen! She continued her bossy ways for the first three miles, too, by the way. So, while not a regrettable choice to have her join me, it was an annoying one. Just. Sayin'.
Elly: "Mommy, I'm sorrrrryyy .."
Me: "Liar."
(I'd just like to note that I love that the kitties aren't the only sun seekers in the morning ...)

SO. This run. Well ... what can I say about it especially when I did not plan on it for today nor did I fuel myself very well for it. Wow, given those factors on top of leg and ab muscles (oh, yes ... ab muscles ... the very ones that have been working to compensate for the back issues ... good times !!) that were tight as a drum no matter what I did to stretch, I'd say this run was wildly successful!!

It all depends on how you choose to look at things, amiright ?!

I figured out along the route today, though, that there is a whole other part of my I need to work on right now, and that is I need to retrain my brain: Because of the number of things that have made training difficult, I've found myself mentally accepting it all without also mentally fighting it. I know I can't decide to make any of these muscular issues heal any faster, but I can make sure my attitude is a little more positive than I've found it lately. There's a very big difference between, "I have some muscle things going on right now which will make this run harder SIGH," (Hello, Eyeore ...) vs. "I have some muscle things going on right now, so let's see what I can do today, and I'm going to be happy (or, at least proud) about whatever that is along. the. way.!"

The "along the way" piece has been missing for quite some time. After? I'm always good. During? Yeah, not so much lately ...

That needs to change!

Speaking of change, the dynamic duo managed to muster 24 cents in today's 4 1/2 miles. WooHoo for the finish and for the GOING!!
At least I know I can learn given I actually got up this morning based on my own theory instead of ignoring what I knew and hoping for the best! So, I'll put my latest, personal directive to work on my next run ... on TUESDAY!! Yet again, a double-header of rest-from-running days!! That's good accidental planning! I'll check in tomorrow from a day whose morning plans I'm confident will not morph into a run! See you then ...!

No comments:

Post a Comment