Friday, March 14, 2014

Much Better Me

I saw this on the Distant Runners Facebook page, and it made me laugh:
I have actually sat and thought that if I spent as much time cleaning the house as I do running, we would be perpetually spotless. That says more about how long it can take me to run than it does my cleaning expertise, but who's counting ...!

I also remember the debate I used to have with myself when I started running regarding the time I knew I wanted or needed to take to do it. That time had to come from somewhere; something was going to give. I remember thinking through my personal laundry list of to-dos, and I remember conversations with myself that went something like this: "If I go run, I'm not going to make time to clean (fill in the blank)." Then, that would be followed with this: "Was I really going to clean (fill in the blank) right now anyway?" (Um ... unlikely ...)

The beauty is that it wasn't as difficult to find time to run once I really wanted to do it. As full as I can make a day, there is often a way to compact, rearrange or make it more efficient to carve out a whole new block of time to be used for something. I can most definitely say that once I started running as a routine, my day just looked different; nothing else really went to the wayside. I think that's what happens when a priority is placed on the activity we're trying to fit in instead of finding justification (aka in my world as excuses) for not ...
In addition to prioritizing this activity, the real key to fitting it into my day was deciding I was worth the time it would take to do it. I finally realized it wasn't selfish to have that window of time just for me. In fact, it ended up being quite the opposite. I'm a much better me for having done so!

Besides, it's hardly like it's me all by myself ...
Whether in a group of strangers ...
... or, with someone willing to don a fabulous hat and run
through the cold ...
... or, take on an annoying double-loop route with me ...
... or, jump in and go for it all of a
sudden ...
... or, run the distance from a distance ...
... or, wake up early to go out and goof
with me ...
... or, work really hard and earn a prize ...
... or, take on a challenge not so much because the activity is
necessarily that fun but because the doing-something-together-
in-awesome-festive-hats is ...
... or, because she just doesn't really know
any better she's just that loyal ...
... I have never been all by myself. (yay!)
I'm a much better me for having had a break from running today, too, to give the muscles time to chill from yesterday's outing! I woke up feeling good, but I know I can use this rest! With a concentrated window of time to focus on some stretching and strength, I embraced today's break from running and am delighted to have these Rest Days scheduled back-to-back! Onward to a great weekend ...
... and, I'll check in tomorrow! In the meantime, Happy Pi Day!! It's 3-14 after all ...!

No comments:

Post a Comment