Monday, March 3, 2014

Pressure's Off

It's March. There's ice. I'm soooo very over it all!!

Okay, so my original plan was for the page to turn to January, and I'd hit the training schedule for April in a strong, excitable way! And, then there was the weather and the trail rut trauma and everything else that has challenged this venture. Blah. Blah. Blah. I've needed to shift my mindset, realign training, reconsider goals ... ETCETERA. It hasn't made for a particularly fun training even when I find fun in the money finding running.

But, then! Yesterday, I realized I am about 12 weeks out from the Go Girl Half which means that the very goals I had for April's run can just be shifted to that run instead! In other words, even though the training miles don't change since I need them for April, my mindset can. I've been looking at April with a 'not sure I can catch this up and am not sure what's going to happen' outlook when it feels so much better to think of it as almost a warm-up for some work I (now) really want to do in May. Just by flipping my expectations and plan, I feel much, much better about the fact that Winter lingers ...

Ahhhh ...

In the meantime, while I punctuated part of my day with some squats and wall sits (those kill), Elly decided to show how very strong her resolve is about hating one of the kitties:
"I hate her, mommy. But, I will stand my ground. I mean, sit
my ground. And, I won't look at her. I won't, I WON'T! We
have to be strong on the inside and the outside!"
Okay, that's not necessarily the strong I'm trying to be, but to each her own!

I've learned as I've grown that we get most disappointed or frustrated when our expectations aren't met. This Winter most certainly hasn't allowed for meeting my training expectations, but that's when a simple shift gives me a second chance at what I'm hoping to achieve! It's been a long process to get here mentally, but I think I finally have the complete formula to get this running gig back to the  consistent kind of fun it should be! The pressure's off! Let's see how that translates on tomorrow's run! I'll check in and let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment