Saturday, September 10, 2011

FINISHED!!!

I still have a difficult time putting words on to an event that is so simple (Register, Show Up, Finish, Move On) yet has so much that goes on prior to the event to make it happen. It's kind of like graduating or a wedding; how do you put that one moment into words especially when the experience is so personal that everyone's own is so very different when they do it for themselves?

In that spirit, I will share some highlights from today's event!

Here we are all bright and shiny! That's pretty
good considering the 6-a.m.-on-a-Saturday
wake-up call! AND, bonus for the family,
I don't yet smell!

There we go! See me?! That's because I'm not there. That's the
front of the pack. Check 'em out, they're all starting their own
watches and keeping track of their per-mile minutes and other
technological things. I don't even own a regular watch. See? A
personal experience for everyone!

There I go! I'm waving at the little Pit Crew people. Had I been
playing with my watch, I wouldn't have had a chance to see them.
(HA! Like that's why I don't have one!) And, if you look closely,
you'll see the stash of grapes in my pocket under my number. That's
not a growth or anything.

We were afforded a number of miles on our awesome trails.
VERY appreciated for the shade. But, I do have to say there was
more than once where I almost gagged on 'what IS that SMELL?'
And, NO, it wasn't me ... The other notable trail tail is that it wasn't
marked. At all. NICE! So, there we were running along when someone
said, "Um, has anyone seen a course marker?" Great -- this question
added to my knowledge that an experienced running group ran the course
for practice and a couple of weeks ago and got lost here. Comforting.
Fortunately, all concerns were soon alleviated.
Look who was at the trail head!!!
Mile 9 -- a whole mile steadily up hill. Yowza! There I am dragging
myself up it with my fabulous Pit Crew cheering me on and ready
to swap water bottles with me! I bought an extra bottle last night as
a just-in-case. BEST money spent! Hopefully, there will be some
loose change to pick up on the route ...
Mile 13 -- long in the making, long in the waiting. What a way to
make it happen!
They did it! They braved hugs and kisses and the sweet victory!
(Isn't it supposed to be the sweet smell of success? Not so much!)
Oh ... oh ... oh ... what's that? THAT'S RIGHT! Mile 12 paid
off again with a bright, shiny penny!!! I found one on mile 12
last year ... good thing I don't try to cut the route, huh?!
And, as promised, a pizza reward! Super score!
With that, we call it a wrap! A huge success by my definition and so proud to have #2 behind me! I usually take a full week off following a big run (you think I like Rest Day? Try Rest Week!), but it will be modified this time to accommodate the Susan G. Komen Run For the Cure next weekend. So, we'll see what the week brings! First on the docket should be laundry ...

Thank you for all of the cheers and for rooting me on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment