Sunday, December 1, 2013

Unrecognizable, and I Just Don't Care

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 181 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 852.9 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 412.1 Money Found For Food Bank: $.68

Okay, today's run was almost unrecognizable as a run. I suppose having a hearty feast two days ago (that I really wanted) and two subsequent days of rest (that I'm pretty certain I needed) didn't not combine to set my running up for substantial success.

To which I say: OH. WELL.

Elly and I still went, we still had fun, and that's all that really matters.

As of yeterday, I planned a 5 1/2 or 6-mile run for today. But, I simply could not peel myself out of bed early enough to do so. On the fly (or, should I say 'from under my cozy covers'), I changed my mind, altered my expectations and decided the 4 miles on my plan was a good start back! My sweet puppy was happy to go no matter the miles, so we took off determined to clock some miles even if we didn't burn up the roads!

We were distracted a handful of times, which only added to our failure to burn anything up, but it was fun. This was distraction number one:
"Can't take a picture right now, mommy.
Talking. Okay ... and, I want extra belly
rubs ... and, more Dentastix ... and, some
kisses ... and, a new bandana ... and ..."
Much later in the route, the theme continued:
Is there a particular reason she looks more
concerned about the fake tree than she does
about the huge, inflatable Santa?
In between random Christmas stops, we checked out the one drive-thru on route and were disappointed. But, about a half mile later, the bounty began. It started with a single penny (hooray!), and I realized finding 36 cents in two days was a great way to reboot the Food Bank fund. Then, we came to a point in our route where I could turn one way heading home, or, I could turn the other and investigate what is often the most random stretch to find money, but it's also been mighty consistent. I don't get to this stretch very often, so I couldn't resist adding a mile to, hopefully, add to the stash.

Spoiler alert: Ba-da-biiiiing !
That's actually the total stash ... I found the other two pennies where I would have run anyway. It's that I found three dimes strewn along the unplanned route that is notable. And, suhhhhh-weeeeet ! Oh, the pine cone? it was little and cute, and I figured Pit Crew #2 would like it. (And, she did.)
I was happy to head back home, though. I'm not kidding when I say this run could barely be classified as one. But, that's how they sometimes go. With nothing huge on the race calendar right now, I chose to enjoy the freedom of requirement, and just be with my dog.

Just a question ... how, exactly, is ending up with a 5-mile run much different from the planned 5 1/2 or 6? It looks like everything worked out how I wanted in spite of my planning!

By the way, for as much as Elly loves me (and, I know she does), she sure perks up at the very possibility that her gal-pal Juli is approaching. We were on our final stretch when someone was jogging toward us on the other side of the road. Elly's ears went PINNNNNGGG!! (that's all I can think of to describe a sudden perk)...
Her head is cocked toward the runner, but her ears had already
fallen a bit before I got a pic. You get the point, though.
... as she clearly thought it was Juli. And, Elly had a point; the person coming toward us did resemble her. However, that that other runner didn't start waving her hands over her head in a very distract-every-driver-around-awesome-friend kind of way when she saw us, so, I knew Elly was about to suffer a case of mistaken identity. She got over it.

No matter how much our run lacked glory or grace, it was still a great way to start the day. That one after Thanksgiving never feels good, anyway. (Getting things ready for Christmas, however, feels awesome ... check out the lights on our tree:)
Are those diffusers awesome or what ?!
So, happy first day of December!! Even if your month didn't start off perfect, I hope it started off in the right direction! I'll see you tomorrow from Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment