Wednesday, December 4, 2013

New Year, New Goal?

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 182 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 864.3 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 425.5 Money Found For Food Bank: $1.05

Oh, indeed ... It's coming:
It was supposed to be mighty cold this morning, but the forecast changed sort-of-last-minute allowing for one more warmer morning run before heading into many days of really cold. Normally a fan of the cold, I was unexpectedly very happy that I didn't have to bundle up today. I just wasn't in the mood to do so. I think I'm tired ...

Speaking of that, I spent my first half mile this morning finally realizing that it would be a good idea to take a full week off at some point this year ... and, we're running out of year! I'm pretty proud of myself that it took until December for me to start whining about wanting time off, so I call that a victory if I ever heard one! To be honest, I haven't felt the need for more than a few days off after a long race. But, now, I do. And, it sounds awesome!

Ironically, I spent the next couple of miles pondering a new goal. Right now, there's a challenge on the "I Love To Run" Facebook page to run every day in December no matter how far. I've seen these kinds of challenges throughout the year, whether they are running or progressing in some kind of strength training, and I usually blow them off. I guess I'm finally to a point where I'd like to put an "every day" challenge into my routine. (Um, not today, though. Still tired.) I used the last quarter of this year pushing my running goals, and I liked it. I think that's why I'm worn out, but I still liked it. So, once the New Year hits, and I have two Half Marathons to specifically work toward, I'm thinking that's a good time to also start a new "every day" challenge because fitting it in amidst my running schedule will allow me the excuse to start small and build. I have no doubt about keeping whatever is new small because I am very good about holding the running training schedule sacred.

My thoughts? I need to decide among the following options for my use of Rest Days: (a) finally add free weights as a regular, consistent part of my efforts; (b) run at least one mile, or (c) both.

I need to consistently  add free weights to my world. Period. The question is, will I. And, the running at least one mile on Rest Days? First of all, that actually sounds fun. (whuuuuut ?) Second, even one more mile adds at least 100 to my year-end inspire-myself total. That's cool. And, as far as doing both goes, the way I see it is I can run and do weights, do one or do the other just as long as I do something on that day.

Clearly, my thoughts aren't yet together, but I have a few weeks to ponder. I'm a little stunned I'm even considering such nonsense adding to the mix on a day like today when I could easily put my face on the keyboard and fall asleep.

So, there you have that. Oh, and the rest of today's run? It was fab. I nearly doubled my intended distance because I could and because it gives me some wiggle room on Friday's run when I not only have a lot to do that day, but it's also supposed to be pretty wicked cold. Elly was down with it, too, and she minded her manners a little better today (no on-the-run munchies for the hound this morning!)!
No unintended snacks for Elly, but mama
found some money! Another 27 cents!
And, with that, we cruise on into the evening, and we'll see you on tomorrow's Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment