Saturday, December 7, 2013

Wiggle Room

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 184 Nancy's 2013 Mileage: 872.4 Elly's 2013 Mileage: 433.6 Money Found For Food Bank: $1.56

As soon as our kids had assignments and projects due farther out than "next day," I taught them the discipline of making their deadline a few days earlier than assigned to give them built-in wiggle room for the unexpecteds of life or well-earned free time while everyone else is scrambling. I figured this strategy out for myself in college and thought I was a genius (considering the fall from grace I endured to require the figuring-this-out, I felt the need to highly congratulate myself).

Anyway, I drew upon this strategy this morning when I took advantage of the wiggle room I have in my current running plan and ran it against my lack of desire to get out of bed. As of yesterday, I had only 32 miles to hit my goal of 900 for the year, but I had 49.1 scheduled. As hoped, that extra mile or so here and there has totally added up in my favor, and I jumped at the opportunity to cut my great idea of 5.5 to 4.4 and sleep in a little. Ahhhhh ...

It's not like the temperature was inspiring, amiright ?!
That's what it was when we were heading out ... brrrrr ...
I was stoked when I stepped outside to feel it wasn't windy. That was the key to the morning success (that and the extra hour of sleep!)! The only thing I really wanted to accomplish this morning was covering the territory and scope the only drive-thru I could put on route. Both missions were accomplished with the added bonus of 8 cents at the drive-thru and another nickel before finishing up. Super score!!

The bonus feature of the route was this big Christmas Tree. I approached it, and Elly immediately turned in position to sit for her portrait. She knows the routine.
"I know lots of stuff, mommy. But, later
today, I'm going to pretend like I don't
know anything at all and pull the garbage
out of the trash can. 'Hope you don't mind."
And, there we were. Cold but running. And, happy. And, I was super-thankful we were able to go out as I keep hearing of more events cancelled from the Winter storm. I feel for all who have trained and anticipated their events!!!

It's Rest Day tomorrow!! I'm totally ready for it and will see you from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment