Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Review

Happy New Year's Eve!! I hope whatever you have planned to ring out the old and in the new is exactly what you want it to be!

I just had a chat a little bit ago with Pit Crew #2 about New Year's Eve, and our talk made me realize I'm not a huge fan of the whole wow it's the end of the year/a new year is coming  thing. I mean, besides the fact that it comes every year, predictably on the same day at the same time (woah!), I've always felt a basic indifference about it. It comes down to this for me: I'm not going to resolve myself to do something different tomorrow when there's a darned good chance that if it needs to be done tomorrow, perhaps I should have been to work on it in August, just sayin'. That's the basic structure of my feelings about resolutions!

I do like to take a quick scan back, though, to see how far things have come, what was accomplished and where we're at while things progress through the change of the calendar! So, you guessed it! Here's a look at some of 2013's running highlights the way I see it:

Days run: 195
 
Goal of miles run: 900

Actual miles run: 917.8; 167.8 more than 2012

Longest run: 13.1 miles (I'm totally going to have run 13.2 next year just to change that ...)

Shortest run: 2 miles

Why so many more miles this year than last: I got hit on the head I decided I wouldn't be personally satisfied with status quo

Mileage goal for next year: 1,000

Number of official races: 8, 4 virtual/4 organized

Best running development: Discovering virtual races!

Most surprising running byproduct: Finding so many books about running that I enjoy!

Minutes cut off of previous best Half Marathon time: 11

Best race: Go Girl Half Marathon by virtue of the fact that I upgraded it from a 5K the day before the run

Dumbest decision: Go Girl Half Marathon by virtue of the fact that I kept running when the lightening started

Best official race swag: The winner of this category two years running is the Go Girl Half Marathon -- c'mon, the wine glass speaks for itself

Favorite race picture: And, with a sweep, Go Girl Half Marathon:
When you're yelling straight from your heart and gut, "I totally
did it!", well, that's quite a moment to catch in a photo!
Favorite virtual race: Virtual Sparkle Cupcake Race, July 2013. Hands down. How can I go wrong running at a distance with my running partner extraordinaire, Mary Kate, while running alongside PC#2 while she stretched herself to reach a goal she never before thought she could take on?!

Best virtual race swag: The friendship bracelets PC#2 made for all three of us in thematic colors

Best race medal: Roots & Blues 10K. While I have loved each and every cupcake virtual medal (I mean, how can you go wrong with blingy cupcakes?), I have to say it's the rainbow that takes the prize:
Most unexpected run: Roots & Blues 10K as I never intended to return to the event. Now, I suspect I'll be all over it next Fall!

Worst running wardrobe malfunctions: The saucy hot pink Sauconys that couldn't hold my big toe, and my candy cane knitted gloves starting to unravel at the thumbs!! (boo!!)

Worst running fuel: Pineapple-pepper jack pizza after having had artichoke dip.

Most annoying running partner: Elly, and not just because I often have to carry her poo

Most consistent running partner: Elly

"I rock! I rock! In every, single way,
I ROCK!"
Number of times Elly tripped me this year: None, but she came close once. Very  close.

Best running fuel: Having people believe in you. Including, and most especially, yourself.
When your hearts are what are waiting at the finish line ...
... you run with all of yours.
 From our crew to yours ...
... here's to looking forward to many more adventures together!! I'll see you tomorrow after kicking off the year with ... you guessed it! ... a morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment