Monday, March 2, 2015

Yesterday's Goods

Wow, that was a busy Monday!! It was packed from beginning to end -- even though it's still mid-evening, I'm tired enough for it to be midnight! So, it's time to wind down and focus on the simple kind of good in life ...

First, here's Pit Crew #2's creation from yesterday:
TA-DA!! Olaf with some creative interp because coal only comes one way which means without the big, white part of cartoon character eyes, and the snow, while packing, was really only pack-ish. She did a fab job with everything she had! I love it; it made me smile every time I went by it today!

And, while she was creating that outside, Aaron was creating this inside:
Yes, indeed, he made bread! I'm not a huge bread fan, but I am a huge fan of the smell of it baking. So, everyone wins!

You guessed it, though; the idea to make some came from my continued reading and research sparked from the Trim Healthy Mama book. Okay, so, I'm probably likely light years behind most everybody when it comes to using sprouted flours. I really didn't even know what it was or what it
meant, so I did some looking. In my terms (meaning don't quote me or hold me to it because I'm no nutritionist nor do I play one on tv), it boils down to this: Because it is sprouted, your body treats it more like a vegetable than it does a bread. Part of the reported perks of sprouted flour include that it is easier to digest, it aids in the absorption of vitamins and minerals, and it converts starches into the sugar that the body uses for energy versus that which is stored as fat. That's pretty sweet. In the good way.

I will say I did find one site that published a report finding no real difference between regular wheat bread and that made with sprouted wheat beyond a difference in taste. I'm sure there are plenty of counter reports to this just like there seems to be for everything else. But, our decision went with the majority we found and made sense plus the fact that buying this flour and making it is both yummier and, ultimately, cheaper.

It requires the use of both a bread machine and an oven to finish baking, but the whole process is crazy easy! Given household members who like foods that aren't run of the mill (because bread machine bread is fancy, you know), I think this recipe is going to stick around! (You can find it here!)

I think we're going to need to splurge on a second loaf pan, though ...
Aaron saw little to nothing wrong with it. He also noted he
could just make one loaf at a time, too, by cutting the recipe
in half. Now, that's thinkin'!
So, my man is happy with the new bread as are anyone else who partake. I liked what I tasted, but bread's about the last food I go for, so my lack of indulgence not about the recipe!
And, on tomorrow's docket? Well, that depends on what happens overnight ... the weather situation is a moving target, and I'm trying my hardest to just wait and see ... I'll check in tomorrow with the verdict! I'm moving miles one way or the other ... hoping for one (regular, on my feet) way!

No comments:

Post a Comment