Friday, March 13, 2015

The Story Within

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 247.3 (running: 142.8; walking: 10.7; biking: 93.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $27.73

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 247.3 Aaron: 194.25 (b: 174.45; w: 16.8)  Elly: 43.2 Total: 484.75

Ohhhh, yes ... Snoopy says it best:
Yahoo!! Friday it is!! Who isn't happy about that?!

So. The run. Here's the breakdown before the real story: It was long; the up hills were steep, and I happily bailed on one for the purpose of surviving the rest of the run; I brought water proving I can learn lessons; I found $1.13 and have no idea how, and, my last 4 miles were super slow and I could not have cared less.

Ta. and Da.

Now, here's the real story of the day: So, there I was on a sidewalk when I saw a man quite a bit ahead of me entering the main path. He'd looked to make sure he wasn't stepping in front of someone, so, he knew I was there. I was glad for this because I hate accidently sneaking up on people walking (much like I hate when a bike comes whizzing past me that I never knew was there. It's just not good. Scares the crap out of me.). As I was closing the gap between us, the man looked back twice. I figured he was making sure I really was staying to the left while he stayed to the right. No biggie.

The man was older which I gathered by his snow white hair, his slightly slumped shoulders and his uneasy-but-determined gait. Frankly, from my observation of his position, I'd be looking behind me, too, to make certain everyone is in their own space.

But, that's not what he was doing. Rather, he wanted to tell me something right when I caught up to him. With a big, huge smile, gusto in his voice and his hands about 18 inches apart vertically, he said to me: "I figured I'd take a morning walk before going and buying my alcohol!"

(I'll wait 'til you finish giggling ...)

I said, "Well ... makes sense because then everything evens itself out!"

Because, what else do you say to that?

He seemed pleased by my response, and we carried on our separate ways. Who knew I would again cross paths with him?! Two miles later, I'd gone up and looped back on my route only to see and hear him in his car at an intersection. I heard him because he was calling out to me and clapping. That we crossed paths again was pretty unexpected, so it certainly wasn't alarming nor do I think he was cheering me on. I think he was just ... happy. Or, about to be!

I was pretty happy when I rounded out the ol' run. Today's 10 miles were much less of a punishment than last week's 9, so that's pretty cool. Also cool was my hairdo when I finished:
Don't be too jealous.
In looking at the weekend and next week's schedule, it looks like my best bet is to change tomorrow's Rest Day to a running day. The original training schedule has a run the morning following the 10-miler, so I'm actually just going back to what I'm supposed to do anyway. And, it ends up working out better. I couldn't have planned it better (clearly, since I didn't).

Friday things are calling, so I must start tending to them! I hope every part of your weekend prep is awesome, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment