Friday, March 27, 2015

The Mind Is Strong, But I Am Stronger

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 297.7 (running: 191.4; walking: 12.5; biking: 93.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $29.68

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 297.7 Aaron: 234.2 (b: 217.4; w: 16.8)  Elly: 56.9 Total: 588.8

Getting to today's 12 miler was more of a mental mind game than it was a physical one. Truth be told, I'll battle my mind any day over an inability or physically laborious effort. I can battle my own mind and win. And, today was no exception.

I did hit snooze an extra time this morning because I could tell getting up at Snooze One was just setting me up for failure. 'Funny how that extra 9 minutes helps turn a physiological corner, doesn't it?! Anyway, Snooze 2 was the winner, and I was up and out in no time.
I should have been up and out in some semblance of time and used that time to stretch well, but, I didn't. Instead, I stretched while brushing my teeth (true story), took a really easy first mile and hoped for the best. What I would have done for better stretching most definitely would have been worth my time, but it would not have been sufficient because I didn't realize how chilly it was! At 34 degrees with a little wind, my muscles were clenching from the get go while I passed people scraping their windshields in their driveways. Yeah, none of us could believe it's the end of March ... (Man, we're getting set up to get creamed with the temperature on race day, aren't we ...?!)

I motored along well, though; better than I really thought I would. By the end of the second mile, I had a solid groove that took me up every hill and got me going again after every stop to pick up a coin (34 random, non-drive-thru-nor-metered-space cents in all today; it was filthy and just waiting for me to rescue it all). Oh, and, of course, I had to stop here and there for some scenery:
Hello, Spring! I see you are having quite
a time pushing Old Man Winter out of the
way ...
This one was a must:
Talk about color coordination! I'm amazing.
There were three notables from today's run:
  • I didn't bail on any of the hills I gave myself permission ahead of time to use to walk.
  • I finished way under predicted time which was a nice perk for a training run which are always, always slower than go time.
  • I did not run into nor get chased down by the very drunk man who could not seem to figure out on what part of the sidewalk he wanted to stumble walk.
  • Oh, there was a fourth: I spent at least a mile reflecting on and mentally salivating over yesterday's smoothie and did not feel like throwing up even one time.
Speaking of, it's time to go make a new flavor ... what'll it be ... Who cares, it'll be yummy! I think that'll be my post-run reward. That and not straining anything in the first two miles.

I have back-to-back Rest Days on the books! I'm totally down with that! Have a great start to your weekend, and I'll be checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment