Thursday, March 19, 2015

Shine

It's the moment I feared would not come today: I mapped a route for tomorrow that I'm actually excited about!! The week has been long and busy, this Rest Day has not been restful at all, the temperature took a dive to the point I had to turn on the heat ... all together made tomorrow's 11 miles feel mighty daunting.

But, then, just moments ago, I mapped a route I am totally stoked about! It is over familiar roads, but I mixed it up to feel way less familiar. And, the most familiar miles are 1 and 11: I never remember the first mile (seriously, hardly ever), and when I'm on the last one, well, you know I'm happy there! There are some hill challenges in there, but I took them over being bored with the route before I even started it. And, if this route blows, I won't be able to do anything about it until it's over, so it really won't matter.

Logic.

In the meantime, I was in Hobby Lobby about an hour ago (on a legit mission, not just wandering to drool over the goodies), and I must show you my scores. First, we have these:
I think they're rather self explanatory. And awesome. AND half price. WooHoo!!

Those weren't on my mission agenda, but that's how it goes. I was actually there looking for a little something(s) to put in a goodie bag for Pit Crew #2 who is in a big competition this weekend. I like to give the kiddos a little something when they compete, a little momento of not just how proud we are of them but also to recognize the incredible amount of effort they don't have to be doing at all that they put into their endeavors. They put themselves out there in ways I didn't have the guts to do at their ages. I am continually in awe.

I have the fortunate opportunity to give this to her after her performance but before she's scored/rated; I like to give them their 'prize' before knowing the results when I can so they clearly get it had nothing to do with the outcome. This is perfect for her:

And, isn't that what's most important always? I know we don't think about it much when we're at work or doing the every day duties. I get that. But, think of how often (and, sometimes, how hard) we work to suppress our excitement and/or our abilities because we're afraid we won't stack up/aren't worthy to be there/maybe aren't as good as we think we are ... and, on and on. Think of how much better off we'd be if we could always remember our performance -- our existence -- is not for the judgment of others. And, we are given gifts that shouldn't be compared. We are allowed to give everything we have and that be plenty. We are allowed to shine in our own right.

Was there anyone happier and shinier at my first Half from start to finish than I? ...
Pure. Happy.
... I really don't think so. But, there should have been.

Embrace what you love. And, be happy with what you have to give. I'll see you after the morning run.

No comments:

Post a Comment