Monday, March 9, 2015

Making the Most Of Springing Forward

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 230.1 Aaron: 191.25 (b: 174.45; w: 16.8)  Elly: 37.2 Total: 458.55

And, so it is ...
A friend of mine posted that on Facebook. I was pretty okay this morning, but I was a mess getting my schedule straight last night!
 
I hope you're adjusted to the time change and that your week started off just the way you wanted! On this Rest Day, I took another dive into the kitchen with my Trim Healthy Mama book, and we had a humdinger of a dinner! Check it out!
Baked salmon and creamed spinach ... (with a salad: yawn) ...
... and blueberry muffins!
This book opened me up to an entirely new culinary world I didn't even know existed. I keep finding myself in the kitchen enjoying being there instead of it being the drudgery it usually felt. I'm not good with experimenting with cooking, so I don't enjoy that. But, I keep finding all sorts of recipes I want to try that are not only turning out well but also that the entire family is enjoying*, so it's fun!
 
* Pit Crew #3 said at dinner, as he chowed it down, "It's great that you found all of this when I hit a growth spurt because I'm hungry all the time, and I'll eat just about anything!" This from the child who ate only 5 things his first two years of life. Anyway, I'm not sure that was exactly a ringing endorsement, but, hungry or not, he'd pass if he really didn't like something. So, I go with one in the win column there! Aaron and PC#2 do eat pretty much anything, so PC#3 and I are the real barometers ...
 
With a focus of getting more super-good-for-us foods in and sugars out, this meal hit the spot and probably perfect for fueling tomorrow's run! I like everything I've been reading about salmon -- something to sharpen my brain? I'm in! A different, easy (delicious) way to make spinach? Yes, please! And, the muffins are made with never-heard-of-it-before-the-book coconut flour! Who knew? (Probably a lot of people ... I really am quite behind!) This is my third run at the muffins: the first one was good; the second one, well, that one would have been better had I remembered to add the sweetener ... whoops ... everyone ate them, though!; and, this one with the blueberries, sweetener and just a bit more liquid (unsweetened almond milk) than called for was almost perfect!
 
By the way: Until using coconut in these recipes, I would have told you, definitively: I hate coconut. I doubt I love it, but I love how it's being used.
 
This was an awesome way to start the week! Well, I really got to start it by having breakfast with a great friend, THEN I wrapped it all up with a meal all of us loved! I even got all of my work finished in between. THAT is a great Rest Day!
 
I'm still a bit weary from the time change, but I should be all good by Wednesday (yeah, for real ...). We'll just fill the gap with some good stuff tomorrow including a morning run! I'll see you after ...

No comments:

Post a Comment