Sunday, March 22, 2015

Do You See What She Sees

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 277.6 (running: 171.3; walking: 12.5; biking: 93.8) Money Found For Food Bank: $29.33

2,015 in 2015 Change Hounds progress: Nancy: 277.6 Aaron: 224 (b: 207.2; w: 16.8)  Elly: 52.8 Total: 554.4

Good Sunday morning! I hope yours started off exactly the way you wanted!! I was torn last night between getting up early enough this morning to see a sunrise or sleep until I naturally woke up. I opted for the latter as I knew I needed the sleep. And, I confess, it's just more pleasant when I'm rested. I ended up awake at least an hour earlier than I would have guessed. I still missed the glory of the sunrise, but it was early enough to knock the run out and not get too far into the morning, so it all worked out well.

I was a wee bit stiff/sore from Friday's long run, so it was also a great morning to bring along my 4-legged running partner! Dressed in her Easter fashion, she was ready to hit it!

Okay, one of the things we joke about around here is why squirrels dart out in front of cars to cross the street. Aaron decided it was some kind of squirrel club initiation: You make it, you're in; Don't make it or don't try, you're out. This came to mind when two squirrels jumped out in the middle of the road at the mile and a half point. One of them braved the oncoming Elly while the other totally scampered back to perceived safety. Elly seemed mildly intrigued but didn't raise a hackle. She is so totally over used to the shenanigans of her kitty sisters after all.

And, then there was this moment:
We were cruising along at good pace when, out of nowhere, Elly beelined it to this tree and pointed. When I say she didn't move, I mean not a muscle.
Well, she did put her paw down, but it was
methodical while her gaze did not move.
I looked up and didn't see anything in the tree because it was full of many, entangled branches. And, frankly, I didn't want to move a whole lot because I didn't want Elly to. I get that she's a hound, but she's so out of practice chasing, cornering and treeing critters that I was intrigued by her instantaneous return to instinct. It turned out that she was so transfixed, I could move all I wanted, and she did not care. So, I moved enough to finally see what she saw:
The squirrel could not make up its twitchy little mind as to what to do. It kept looking up then down then up then at me then at Elly ... all the while, its tail was twitching like crazy. I kept thinking, "If you only knew how safe you really are."

So, I went from looking at the squirrel to back at Elly who, by now, put on her, "Ummm ... now what" face:
Then I went back to the squirrel:
"Yeah! For real! Now what?!!!"
What then was to get back to running.
"Let's go, mommy!"
Elly clearly had enough of the cornering because she happily joined me back in pace. I think she was feeling pretty good about herself, too.

We went on to wrap up our run right on target even with some stops along the way to gather pennies, go potty (her, not me) and, of course, tree a squirrel and further torment it by taking its picture. What more could you want during a run?

That was a good shake out of Friday's lingering twinges! Rest Day tomorrow will help settle the legs down before firing it all up for Tuesday's run! I hope your Sunday is also full of unexpected adventures, and I'll check in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment