Monday, January 5, 2015

First Full Week; First Full Run!

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Total Movement Mileage: 7.5 (running: 4.5; walking: 3;  biking: 0) Money Found For Food Bank: $10.12

2,015 in 2015 Team Progress (yes, we still need a name): Nancy: 7.5  Aaron: 15.3 (b: 10; w: 5.3)  Elly: 2.3 Total: 25.1

Last night as Aaron and I were chatting about getting back into the swing of a regular Monday, I noted I would be running in the morning. Aaron refuted the fact that I used air quotes around the running word only to have me laugh pretty hard as I anticipated this run to s.u.c.k. Besides it being a week since venturing out in the running mode (which was awesome), I knew the temps were going to be oh-so cold. And, I was right!
That number is a bit deceptive, though, because believe when I say that once you get going, it's just not that bad. (I'm not offended that I know you don't believe me.) Don't get me wrong, the first quarter-to-half mile are pretty brutal and definitely make you question if running is worth losing one of your digits. But, after that, on a day like today with no wind chill issues, it's pretty awesome.

The wind chill will get you, though, and I do not recommend pushing that issue. I've already pushed it enough for all of us, so just let me take that one for the team, and keep yourself inside when it's going to be below 0 with the wind! Just a little public service note for you ...

Anyway, the run was surprisingly good. The joke was on me with the whole air quote sitch last night because I was ready to roll this morning! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't my strongest outing, but I didn't feel the need to stop, walk or otherwise fall down in exhaustion, so I call that good!

I also kept my eyes peeled along the way not as much for money (although I did come upon a total of 30 cents) but for random patches of ice like this one:
You'd think that would be in plain sight enough to see without issue, but I'm not usually looking at the obvious path. So, I had to keep reminding myself that breaking my body would not be worth the coin I do or do not see ...

Seeing this was super cool, though:
I started scouting out particular spots in this route that I want to maximize during training, spots that mimic April's route as that's the one that holds the 2-mile Holy Hill! This is a good time to start strategizing my training so I can shift to a little bit of focus and a little less on the money looking! Oh, I'll still look (duh), but I need to keep consistent forward motion, rather than forward-stop-double-back-stop-forward, in mind for a little while!

Of course, it would be helpful to get the training schedule on the calendar, but that'll happen at some point this week. I'm pretty sure I have this week to play with to get back in the groove, and, if it turns out I was supposed to be on training track, well, it's nothing that's going to hurt! Oh, but do you know what does hurt? Your nose after the cold makes it run and leak for four and a half miles, that's what!
No pics below the nose. It's not something you can unsee.
So, tomorrow's another run, and I'm so glad I planned one for tomorrow and not Wednesday because with Wednesday comes a forecast of wind chills around -10!! YIKES!! I'll pass on an outing that day! In the meantime, enjoy this start to the first full week of the new year, and I'll see you after the morning run!

2 comments:

  1. Had to use this post to help motivate myself and the Divas to run in the 25 degree weather. We do not like it this cold at all!!! We wimped out on the 15 degree day. You are our hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take it for the team for all of you!! You guys run crazy early (I'm always in AWE), I'll run in the crazy cold. Everyone wins!!

      Delete