Friday, August 1, 2014

Bravely Veering Off Path

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!

I stuck to my no-running-get-more-sleep plans this morning, and it was a great way to start my day and wrap up a successful week. The week wasn't a success because of the spectacular performances I contributed to the art of running; it was a success because I stuck with it. That's all this week required, and it was more than enough!

In addition to my sinus-stuffiness, it has been a rough couple of weeks muddling through some emotional baggage. I've had a lot of that in the past many years, and one thing about working through it has rung true all along: The more of it I face and unload, the better off I am.

The key to actually unloading it is to face it head on in the most brutally honest-with-myself manner, and this past week has been no exception. Through this recent journey, I discovered yet another way (of many of my past) that I have held myself back by allowing myself to be pigeon-holed into someone else's perception that I went along with. I've been chasing after a mirage even though I've been well aware for a long time that it was just that. Part of the chase has been the hope that I've been wrong, and, I suppose, part of it was that it was what I knew to do. Veering off path wasn't familiar, therefore, I didn't go. Well, I've now gone. And, I've felt free.

We all do it, don't we? We lock ourselves into a pattern or perception or mindset that started for one reason but continues for who-knows-why even when it no longer applies. I've done it with many different aspects of my life at different times along the way. I know I'm not alone in doing so. I also know I'm not the only one who knows what it feels like to decide it's better to face the truth and confront what I fear rather than continue to be weighed down holding myself back.

And, in doing so, every little thing through the day feels better: lighter and more authentic. And, isn't that what it's all about?

Not to be obvious, but my runs these past couple of weeks gave me a lot of time to soul search, think and pray. And, every, single step was one more toward unloading another skeleton in the closet. I'm so thankful for the time to run -- that very activity I used to tell myself and others that I could not and would not ever do.

Who knows what's deep on the inside until you take a step back and look? Take a little time for yourself as you head into the weekend! My weekend kicks off with the first official training run of my Unbroken Tour ... I'm really looking forward to taking this on!

I'm also looking forward to figuring out when this little critter needs to become a part of my world:
I saw him at a store with Pit Crew #3 yesterday. I resisted
getting him. I'm not sure how, either.
Have a great start to your weekend, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment