Friday, August 29, 2014

It's How It Ends That Matters

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 138 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 663.5 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 295 Money Found For Food Bank: $44.71

I am going to be the first to admit that within Mile 1 this morning, I had the following thought: I can see why running often loses its charm. That was my early-in-the-run brain signaling to me that I wasn't quite awake, I wasn't quite inspired, and I was pretty sure there were other things I'd rather be doing at that moment! In truth, the only long runs (8+ miles) I like doing are during a Half Marathon. Even then, it can be (and, um, has been) a questionable venture, but I do get hugs, treats and a shiny medal at the end of that one!

I knew my brain would eventually kick in, so I focused on taking in the morning vibe to distract myself from, well, from myself!
I also intentionally focused on the temperature because I knew it wasn't going to last throughout this run. I was right, too, as there was a very notable 7-8 degree rise from beginning to end especially as the sun kept coming. I'm glad I enjoyed the first couple of miles while I could!

Today's route was both familiar and not as the first three miles covered area I've run but not for many months. In fact, I don't tend to enjoy it because it has some lengthy hills, and I intimidate myself from taking them on (it's so easy to re-route, just sayin'). And, the remaining six miles are familiar, but I ran them backward (not in the literal sense, in the directional sense!), so if there was muscle memory in the wings, it went untapped today. I know this mighty shake up was really good for me. That's a really easy thought to have after having done it!

I was out of water before I hit the eighth mile. Fortunately, there was a gas station to the rescue! I salivated just a little when I saw this ...
I just looked. I didn't actually fill 'er up
with that! What an excellent name:
Yumberry. And, I do love pomegranate.
Mmmmmm ...
Now that I think about it, I didn't actually salivate because my mouth was too dry to produce any. It wasn't too dry a couple of miles back, though, when I had a high need to spit, and I did exactly what we all try to avoid ... "Paaa-tooey!! Aw, man!" Yeah, I ran right into it. I didn't even care. That's what the washing machine is for ...

So, while the charm of running was lost on me at the beginning, it returned along the way. And, speaking of along the way, I found 28 cents all in old-school fashion. No drive-thru scores; no metered stretches creating a target-rich environment. They were just hanging out there waiting for me. (ha!)

I treated myself to one of my very favorite places after the run ...
That's right ... me, the pool, and about 30 minutes of,
"Oh, hell yeah!!"
And, then I went home and walked in to see someone who, very clearly, had been having a most strenuous morning:
"Where have you been? Oh, wait. I don't care."
It all started out kind of so-so and wound up to be an outing I can be proud of. That's a pretty good way to start a Friday!! The time was going to pass no matter what; I'm glad to have had something solid to put into it! I hope your Friday is also moving along in the positive, and I'll check in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment