Saturday, August 30, 2014

Dare To Not Compare

As this 3-day weekend chugs along, I find myself with teeny pockets of time in which I have not enough time to get invested in something but enough that I can keep picking at reading my latest book of choice. It's the second book written by my fake high school boyfriend:
I thoroughly enjoyed his first book although I remember absolutely nothing about it. And, while I'm not certain what more I expected to learn from this one, I did not expect to stumble on this gem:
 
"Never compare your insides to someone else's outsides."

Page 70. It's right there.

He said this in response to his son's questioning why he felt so nervous about moving on to campus and into his freshman dorm life, but he assessed no one else looked the way he felt. But, we all know comparing our insides to everyone else's outsides doesn't start at 18 years old. Nor does it end there.

I almost gave up on reading this book because there was a chapter prior to the above quote that was a snoozer. I decided to skip the rest of that chapter but stick with the book for now. It turned out to be a worthwhile strategy! Coming upon this statement was another installment of what we, in our house, like to call: The Unlikely Voice Of Reason.

And, I couldn't have relayed a better point to ponder today, so, I will leave it at that. But, I will check in after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment