Saturday, August 31, 2013

Yes, Please

Side note before I even begin (does that mean it's actually a side note then?): There I was last night, continuing to read the Mile Markers I mentioned a few days ago. I was reading along when the author, Kristin Armstrong, mentioned her ex-husband (to whom she refers as her wasband ... ha!). Later, she mentioned him again but by name: Lance. She's mentioned her ex, and she's mentioned Lance a few times. But, for whatever reason in that moment, I finally put it together -- her wasband is Lance Armstrong! That actually means absolutely nothing other than I really enjoy those moments where your brain makes such a connection, and then you feel super clever. I'm still loving the book, by the way. Just sayin'.

In the meantime, on this Rest Day, I have two things to share. First, in my morning Facebook prowl, I read an entry on the Running While Mommy page mentioning how her 12-miler today was terrible. Cutting to the chase -- her entry, my blog yesterday, same basic story. The weather seemed to get her, and she reports having fallen apart. (I don't necessarily know how she defines falling apart, but that's not for me to evaluate anyway.) I've previously mentioned that I am no fan of the "misery loves company" saying, but I am a huge fan of being real. That's the kind of company I like to keep, the kind where I can excel or fall flat on my face, and I still have people around me loving me through exactly where I'm at. That's how I want to know people, too. The highs, the lows, the shiny moments and the battle wounds. We weren't designed to go through this world by ourselves, so Bring It. Bring it all. That's how we best root each other on.

Speaking of my, ahem, run yesterday, I spent no time licking my wounds because we had fabulous evening plans that I was very much looking forward to! At the event, there was a shaved ice truck (greatly  anticipated by the young Crewers!). This penny-picker-upper has a very difficult time splurging on such novelties, so those moments are saved making them kind of special!

Last night was the night for not just  shaved ice, but the  shaved ice company we saw at GO! St. Louis this year! The kids were stoked!!
They were so excited to see the Kona Ice
truck at the food truck stretch at GO! ...
cheapy mom said "no." Don't feel too
bad for them when you spy with your
little eye the smoothies in hand! Ha!
I put this one in here for good measure; a girl and her cupcake
love is a worth peeking!
Why the mention today? It's not just because my Crewers are fabulous and I love sharing how happy and cute they are. It's because I got two unexpected surprises from our visit to the truck last night. First, the prices were totally reasonable (totally stunned; I simply didn't expect it!) But, the real reason for the mention here is they have sugar-free options!!! Sugar. Free. Options. !! WAHOO!! It was a humid evening following a hot day, and I was excited to find out I could not just partake, but I could also do so without completely undoing the morning run. That calls for another WAHOO!!
Blue rasberry and cherry, both sugar free.
Both yummmmmmm.
The sugar-free option was not advertised. We found out about it only because I was pretty tediously investigating the flavor choices and asking multiple questions about sizes and costs. And, there was no line at the time of my line of questioning, so the person selling took advantage of giving me the entire pitch which included the off-handed sugar-free option.

And, it was delicious. The next time the truck is around, it'll be another round of 'em. Four, please!

I love unexpected, happy surprises of any kind, and this one counts big following a morning that was totally and bummerville predictable! I hope a happy surprise comes your way today, and I'll check in after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment