Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Power Of Suggestion

I was just on mapmyrun.com to create a new route for tomorrow when I clicked on something and found myself on a map of Paris. Evidently, tomorrow's run is going to be suhhhh-weeeeeet ! Have I mentioned running is quite the adventure?! I just didn't know it was international for me ...

Back to today, though ... Today, even though the temp looked good enough to take the dog, I learned from the other, humid-gross morning, and I left her behind. It turned out to be a very wise move as I hadn't even hit my first mile when I felt the sweat running on my elbows. Sweat dripping on your elbows is a really intriguing feeling, by the way. I mean, when do we ever really think about our elbows? "While running" is not the typical answer to that question.

So, I was running along feeling just fine and reveling in the fact that I was so super-smart to leave Elly behind when my mind wandered to something I just read on one of the running Facebook pages I've liked where the owner posted that she'd just fallen over a jut in the sidewalk and wondered if she was the only tool to trip over such a thing. You already know I've biffed it a few times, so I could totally relate to her post.

I was thinking about this post and realized, "Huh. That hasn't happened to me in quite some time."

Until another mile later when it did.
From my knee to the scrapes down
my leg ...
... and, even my elbow got in on the action!
Aw, man!!! I don't even know what happened. I just suddenly felt my footing was wrong (wayyy wrong), and while I tried my best to recover and not fall in front of the very long line of cars waiting at the 4-way stop (of course), I finally just went down. Luckily, I got myself into the grass. Unluckily, we've not seen rain in about 100 years, so the ground was nice and hard. Hence, the cuts (and the blood that was basically gone by the time I took the pics). I went flat on my back by the end of the drama, and I wanted to stay there for a minute -- because it felt relaxing, not because I was that hurt -- but, I didn't want to cause alarm by anyone who witnessed the fall by my not getting up. I'd rather they laugh than worry!

The worst part? It was when I got up that I realized I had my camera but forgot to put the memory card back in. Seriously?! *sigh* So, the battle wound pics waited 'til I got home. And, yes, I was so sweaty that that piece of grass on my arm stayed there for the remaining 2 1/2 miles of running and drive home. Gross.

I came home to a great care taker, though:
"I'm not even upset you didn't take me, mommy. I can tell by
your funk it was quite a wild ride today! slurrrp! "
Oh, by the way, did you know when you have abrasions on your body, and you sweat into them, they sting? Just sayin'.

Well, that was five miles of pure adventure, don't you think? *sigh* They were good miles, though. They were stronger than I anticipated for a humid day, and that's always good. Tomorrow's the shortest run of the week -- let's see if I can keep my feet in line and on the ground! I'll check in after; see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment