Saturday, August 24, 2013

Totally Get It

Ahhh ... Rest Day ...

So, I started reading the book Mile Markers (Kristin Armstrong: 2011), and, right up front, something struck a chord with me. It was the following:

That's me on the right. Just kidding.
"... running is, by nature, fast. Sometimes, as in a race, it's nice when teh mile markers tick by quickly, when we are on pace and pushing toward a goal. In life, however, I believe it's best to slow down and acknowledge the mile markers as they come. We are often in such a rush that we blow past them, barely noting them in our hurry to get to 'next.' "

It's like she's in my head. Only, all of that was applicable to how I generally feel about my running, too. And, that shouldn't be a surprise ...

First of all, I'm not fast. I'm not slow, but I'm not fast and certainly not by "runner" standards if you will. I never have been. Ever. So, when I took up running at age 39, it didn't take too long for me to just embrace this simple fact and focus on something I could control ... like how to make it fun for me. I know plenty of people who get their fun from running from their speed. Had that been my motive, there's no way I would have continued. I would, however, have been quickly and completely deflated by my inability to live up to some random standard that I never should have applied to myself in the first place. In summary: Time can suck it with regard to my running prowess.

I've never cared much about my running time. I've never put a big value on it. I've put a lot of stock in how I feel, but not about how long that takes. And, in thinking about my life as a whole, this all suddenly makes perfect sense to me ...

Aside from my natural, God-given physical abilities that keep me going but withhold me from seeing the front of the pack, the winners' podium or a race prize, the sentiment to "slow down and acknowledge the mile markers as they come" is precisely how I decided to live my life especially once I had kids. Once our babies were born, it was never more apparent to me that time was going to pass no matter what I did with it. And, I was determined to not miss a thing. I made a very active decision to never find myself saying, "They're growing up too fast," or feel like I blinked, and they were all grown up. I wanted every birthday to feel very matter-of-fact with, "Yeah, that's how old s/he should be," or "Yup, this age feels just right," and not, "How'd that happen?!" And, so far, that's exactly how I feel because I decide every, single day to make sure I'm soaking up the day for what it has to offer. No one's going to make sure I don't miss something, so I'd better be in there seeing and experiencing it for myself.
Race winners can earn money, or, they
might even earn a pie. Here's Aaron
knowing we won't be bringing one
home ... no winner's pie for us!

With that kind of life philosophy, it's no wonder the above passage resonated with me. I've often joked about how I get more of my money's worth out of a race than the fast people (except, perhaps, for those who actually win a cash reward for being so darned fast ...). The thing is, when I started running, I very quickly found what would make it fun for me along the way. What would motivate me. What would inspire me. (You'd think it would be the health benefits, improved fitness level, blah blah blah. Perhaps by my use of 'blah blah blah' you see how far all of that got me on the motivation front.)

And, while I was passing
over money, Pit Crew #2
was totally scoring!

While I was super-stoked about my performance during April's Half Marathon, where I totally PR'ed my Half Time in a pretty big way, I reflected and acknowledged to myself what I traded to do so: I picked up none of the money I saw (even thought I mental-tallied and put it in the Snoopy Food Bank bank later); I took far fewer pictures along the route, and, of those I took, more were blurry than usual; I barely waved hello to my Pit Crew cheering for me at the 6th mile in part because I barely saw them ... Yes, there is a trade to speeding things up.

I've never really determined the trades I made in April to be good nor bad. They just existed. I am proud of that run, but I'm not going to berate myself if I never repeat it. I just want to go and experience whatever comes that day. That's more than good enough for running.

It's not good enough for life, though. That's where I keep things as chill as possible. I don't just want to acknowledge the mile markers. These are the ones I want to embrace and squeeze until all of the stuffings almost come out.
I can't not smile at this pic ... as it should be ...!
Yes, I've come to love running. Even on the days when it totally sucks, I love it. It doesn't take much to understand me or my life. Just watch me run. That will speak volumes.

Speaking of, tomorrow, we're back at it! With any luck, the pooch will join me. It's been a while since I've had her with me on a weekend. That would be a treat for us both. Even if she's annoying. I'll see you after!

No comments:

Post a Comment