Monday, August 5, 2013

Always Better Than Yesterday. Duh.

It's my own fault, really. I'm the one who has "liked" about a thousand Facebook running pages all of which posts tons of inspirational quotes and pictures to keep the likes of me going. By and large, I love reading them.

Today's one of those days, though, where I had a twinge of that faintly familiar feeling where I feel on the outside of running because I'm clearly not doing it like everyone else. The quotes and sayings all seem to say so.

Now, you know by now that my insecurities about running have not just taken a back seat to feeling awesome but that most of those insecurities have been left in the dust. So, when reading today about how if I'm not pushing myself to be better today than I was yesterday, I didn't feel bad about myself. I just felt mildly annoyed.

It was when I was just out mowing the lawn that I realized why. I mean, there I was mowing. Believe when I say that was not on my evening agenda! My legs hurt from all of the furniture and box moving of yesterday into late, late last night. Oh, and from the pool time where there's little in terms of rest (because if you're resting, you don't stand a chance to school the rest of the family at basketball, duh). Oh, and from the running the day before which followed the painting from the day before that. And, from this morning's run. And, from just living a life. So, yeah, my legs hurt right now. A lot. They're fine until I want to do something more strenuous than walk, and then they're all sassy (and, by that I mean cussing up a storm) at me.

My run this morning wasn't too bad. Frankly, it felt better than Saturday's. But, I've had better. I've also had worse. The real bottom line is I went.

As compared to some of my other runs, this one was a stink. As compared to others or, frankly, to not going at all? It rocked. So, the way I see it is that every, single day is better than the one before simply by getting out there and going.

(Or, stopping occasionally because I have a dog who loves to investigate the sites now and then ...)
My morning glory in a big patch of Morning Glories ...
Yes, I love motivational quotes and phrases. Today's "Be better than you were yesterday" directive and its intended spirit directly about running can bite me. The better me mowed the lawn and is about to settle in for some outstanding trash tv. And, tomorrow, I rest from running. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment