Saturday, August 17, 2013

And, That's What "Good" Feels Like

Post-run, post-shower, post-bagel, Aaron and I had the following conversation:

Aaron: What are you thinking about? (yes, yes ... he asked me ... guys can do that, too, you know)
Me: That my run felt really good.
*pause*
Aaron: So, is it ever weird to you that you would ever say a 9-mile run felt 'good'?
Me: (no pause required) Yes. It's still kind of weird.

And, it is. Very weird. And, very good. Here's how it went down ...

I was up and at it pretty early today. For all of my getting out of bed at the very last minute shenanigans plus petting the dog plus stretching (that's right ! I said it and I did it!!), I actually got out the door exactly when I intended. I'm pretty good the morning crunch and getting it done without it feeling too crunched. The weather was as promised -- cool and crisp and soooo fab for running especially for August!! Between the weather and stretching, I was totally set up for a really good run!

Just out the door, around the corner and down a hill, there was a in-great-shape tv stand/end table thingy sitting at the end of someone's driveway just screaming Take Me!! Thanks to our summer-o-house projects, I've actually been in the used-furniture market for just  such a table! And, free is better than the "$5 would be great" thoughts I've been having. Note to self: See if it's still there later! (That would be a much bigger monetary score than a penny or two, just sayin'. And, the Food Bank doesn't want the furniture I find, just the cash.)

Bet'cha didn't see that coming as a running topic this morning! You just never know what you'll find or where your mind will wander while galavanting through the streets of your city.

Okay, I know I've not featured a WOD lately because, frankly, it was like I ran out of new ones. I'm sure I'm wrong about that, but they need to catch my eye, or I move on. This morning, these two little ones caught my eye. It wasn't even that they are out of the ordinary, though. It was because they're just there in the middle of nothing, growing on their own with no like-friends around, and they just keep on hanging in there. I've seen them for the past three weeks. It was time to give them the recognition I feel they deserve:
Two wee ones just hanging out looking cute!
And, while these are hardly out of the ordinary, they looked fantastic with the sun coming through them:
These were the best to pick as a kid!!
Okay, around the bend from whatever-those-are-called is the first of three hills I was not particularly looking forward to. But, believe it or not, I sailed right on up! I have to admit to being in a bit of surprise. I thought the last few weeks of running through Slumpville would hamper such an effort. Seems not! Spoiler alert: The same thing happened on the next two hills, too! I had not one thought of walking, slowing down, crying, saying bad words ... none of it! Who knew?! I was very pleased, and it gave me all sorts of confidence about this upcoming Half. Fab.U.Lous!

The run was good to me on the monetary side of things, too! I found a total of 15 cents (yeah!!!) including this!
I love finding the silver!
I had three drive-thrus on my route, by the way, and not one of them produced. Not. One. Sheesh! One of them is even my go-to! It's about to lose its go-to status if this keeps up. (Can't you hear it crying over the loss of such a prestigious designation?)

Okay, in addition to fabulous money finds, I ran today with a rather kicky running do. During the route, I gave it a status check:
Just awesome. It's my favorite, "Hey, mom, want me to do
your hair?" outcome ever!!
Pit Crew #2 did that for me last night. I decided to see if I could actually sleep on it so I could run in it. Totally worked!! Frankly, given all of the bobby pins in there, I didn't know how much sleep I'd get, but I had to try. She was pretty excited that I kept it in for the run, so that was worth the little bit of extra head tossing I did last night!

Oh, and along the route, I saw these ...
... They're in bloom everywhere right now. I have only seen them from a distance which is where I've always seen them as pink. Or as dark purple. But, never have I seen them pink and purple! Sweet!

I'd apologize for not talking more about running through this entry, but I'm not really that sorry. You know me by now and know that running is a whole experience for me in addition to the run itself. If I were totally focused on running, I'd have quit by now. All of these ways I've found to entertain myself kept me going. And, going. And, going. And, that has added up to saying that a 9-mile run can, indeed, feel really good!

At the end of my run was a short cool down walk where Aaron met up with me!
And, when I got home, I was greeted by PC#3 and by my personal hairdresser:
By the way, the table I saw in the first quarter mile? It's all cleaned up and in our basement with a plant on it. Whee!!

Tomorrow is Rest Day!! Gotta love that!!! I'll see you from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment