Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What Goes Around Comes Around

I feel the need to whisper what I'm about to say: I think I'm back.

But, you know what, that deserved way more than a whisper. So, here we go:

I THINK I'M BACK!!!!

After my first-of-the-run chat with God, I was acutely aware of how good I felt. I didn't ache. I wasn't sore. I wasn't crabby. I wasn't wishing I were in bed instead of running. I wasn't sluggish. I wasn't even distracted. Things were just in motion. And, it felt good.

I kept trying to find other reasons for feeling good but not because I was trying to find something negative. And, I wasn't trying to credit something external (like the gorgeous weather of this morning) for how I felt. (Because, let's face it ... the fact that I went to bed after midnight could easily trump the most perfect of running weather.) I really was just in an investigatory mode looking at all factors involved and seeing how they were working together to create the experience.

And, everything was working great!

The effort through the slump seems to have paid off on the other end. Just the way I knew it could. That's why I can't give up nor give in when it's happening. I just have to keep going.

I've not mentioned it, but for the past few weeks (aka: Slumpville), I've been keeping up the Half Marathon training schedule while simultaneously pondering not doing the race itself. It's been more than pondering, though. I have been actively fighting with myself. It started because I've just felt tired. We'll call that understandable. But, I could feel that morphing into self doubt about my ability to run another one in just a few weeks. We'll call that self doubt crazy talk. Worse, I was drawing on my experience of running this particular race two years ago where I truly struggled almost the entire way. I gave it my all, and it didn't feel good.
Such a pretty scene Aaron caught!! I wanted to feel awesome
during this run soooo much ... it was fine, but it was not
awesome.
And, during Slumpville, I've felt how I remember feeling back then. Even if it isn't true, even if I've actually been doing better now than I did then, it's what I remember.

Put two and two together, and I have felt fear creeping in. And, that's when my rationalizations to bail began -- not the least of which telling myself that there's no one who would question my change of plans. No one.

But, I would. And, that's probably why I've not brought it up. I know what I really want. And, frankly, I know what I'm capable of. I also know a challenge is exactly that: A challenge. It's not the defining outcome. It's something to get through. And, right now, I feel I've gotten through this one.

Well, I haven't gotten through it all by myself ...
Sweet doggie ...
I'm so thankful for such a solid start to the day! OH! And, I'm also thankful for the morning prizes!
Two cents for the Food Bank, pretty-in-the-sun marble for my
stash of treasures!
AND I'm thankful Elly was eager to interrupt her post-run water break to come take a picture!
That water on her nose is from her tongue flipping it right on
up there when I called her to the door. She knows what's up!
And, frankly, I'm thankful for our pretty sittin' spot:
Elly likes to investigate before giving her
day's approval.
Keep on going if you're not feeling it today ... it might take a whole mess of tomorrows for it to feel right again, but it comes back around!

Okay, we're back at it tomorrow for the week's short run! Here's to a great one today!! See you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment