Friday, August 23, 2013

That Was Something!

Well, that was ... something! Yes, I'm speaking to my run this morning. It's not even that easy to recall because, as I sit, I am sore sore sore, and I am very fixated on that right now!

Basically, everything about this morning's run was not normal. Shifting my schedule ensured there would be a long run that came faster than planned, and this is the one I picked. That was on top of a very topsy-turvy week where nothing was routine ... so, why not pick the week most chaotic to shake things up? *sigh* But, I went with the, "Why? Why not!" theory and went for it.

It wasn't pretty by the end! But, I lived to tell about it!

The temp wasn't too bad, but I paid no attention to the man behind the curtain on tv telling me it was also humid. I rationalized in my head that the humid was coming later, and that I was heading out early enough to not be affected right now. (How long have I lived here?) So, I had some issues before I even hit the second mile:
No sympathy deserved, though ... not only did I manage to redefine the morning forecast, but I also left behind two perfectly fabulous headbands that would have kept all of the sweat out of my eyeballs for the duration of the run. So, no sympathy. But, name calling seems appropriate: Tool!

Just after wiping my eyeballs almost out of their sockets, I spied with my freshly wiped eye ...
Right there in the middle, baby! That was added to the dime
and other pennies I'd already found ... booyah !! Two miles in
with burning eyeballs yet can still spy money. Just sayin'.
By the way, the dime came from my go-to drive-thru ... the very one from last weekend where I was ready to remove its very prestigious designation. It must have caught wind and got scared.

Anyway, back in the real world, another mile and a half up the road, though, I got played by the streets:
It's tarred into that spot. That's just mean.
If I continue to use this route, I'm going to start looking for a sharp stick. That oughta do it.

Not quite half way through my route, I was going along just fine. There was a stretch coming up that I thought was going to be an annoying, uphill challenge, but it not only turned out to be not as difficult as I anticipated, but it also had fun things to look at. When I wasn't wiping my eyes and watching for traffic. See?
So pretty! LOVE seeing blue!
Can't you just imagine what fun takes place in all of those
hidey-holes?!
Then, right before I hit my fifth mile, I felt it. The wrath of humidity stuck its straw in my shoulder and sucked everything out of me (dramatic? It's just how I picture it happening. Like a vampire.). Very suddenly, I felt just wrung out. At least I knew it was the humidity, so I spent no time wondering what was wrong with me.

I spent quite a bit of the next mile and a half (a) slowing down, and (b) drinking my water that I was smart enough to bring. If I'm going to be prepared, water bottle trumps wicking headband every time! I also pit stopped to refill:
Don't you love gas stations that have, what we affectionately
call, bunny-poop ice?!?! I DO!
Just after this moment, I dropped the top of my bottle. You know, the part I actually put my mouth on. Ewww. What's worse than dropping your water bottle top on a gas station floor? Oooo ... dropping it on the gas station bathroom floor would have been more gross. There. I win. Of course, I washed off the top without dropping it again before going on my way ...
Three more miles to go. And, I was hot. And, tired. Just kinda bleh. But, the only way to wrap it up was to keep on going! I did choose to walk up a stretch while enjoying my still cold, bunny-poop-iced water. That was just the break I needed to finish!
17 cents in total ... yeah !!! That made the
pain worth it, right?!? (right!)
The minute I stopped, I knew I was going to be hurting. It was just that humid. And, I was just that tired from the week. And, all of that is okay. Some are good, some are not. This was somewhere in between. But, days like this make me love this even more:
Yes, yes I do. I'm pleased to report that for as tired as I was, I knew I could go another three if need be (not that that ever needs to happen, but, you understand). Today was about wanting to be finished. And, wanting a shower. And a nap. And, today, I got it all.

And, tomorrow ... ahhhh. Rest. I'll check in then when I should feel all back to normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment