Tuesday, May 21, 2013

You Can Run, But You Can't Hide

Oh my gosh, yesterday was such a Monday that I could hardly wait to get it overwith. This Rest Day was well timed as I needed to recover not from running but from cranky-pants people!

Today was a much better day! I started it off at the dentist's office! I'm one of those who never hates going (yes, we exist), so that was fine in and of itself. But, the visit was permeated with running chatter which was really fun! I had on one of my Puppy Pacing shirts, and that started a chat by one of the receptionists who gave me her story (you know I love others' stories!). Included in her words was relaying how she ran her first 5K in a few years just this past weekend, so you know I had to talk up this weekend's Go Girl event! The receptionist looked excitedly apprehensive ... until I mentioned that everyone earns a wine glass, and her attitude shifted right into, "How do I make this happen?!" I can't tell you how many people perk up when I tell them they get a wine glass at the end! Remember?
The receptionist also told me she has run the GO! St. Louis Half Marathon in previous years going on to say, "Yeah, it was okay, but there's this hilllll  in the middlllle  and it just keeps goiiiing ..." Oh, yes, she was describing Holy Hill! I just smiled listening to her as I thought to myself, "Yet again, it's not just me!" A little affirmation never hurt anyone!

Then, my dental hygienist is a distance runner, so we had a conversation about her very fabulous new shoes! (Had I had my camera, I would have taken a picture!) She just bought the same Sauconys as the hot pink ones I just replaced, only hers are deep, deep purple! They were very cool. Those were some comfy shoes. I hope hers keep her toes inside!

That was a really fun way to start my day! It was actually a good continuation of the best part of yesterday which happened late last night when I was dinking around on different race websites. The back story is something I've not yet shared. The situation is this: while I've been training for the Half this weekend, I've been fighting through some pretty heavy-duty intimidation about it. This race is significantly smaller than the long ones I normally do (about 600 people vs. 10-12,000 ... yeah, that's a bit of a difference!). Is there a better place to say "You can run, but you can't hide"?!?! The beauty is I have had absolutely no desire to hide. I've wanted to do so in the past, but that's not been my problem here. I could come in last-last-last, send out the troops to go and find her because she must be lost  last, and I would feel very accomplished just because I participated in another so soon.

Now, here's the issue -- being last to me is not about the placement. It's about -- are you ready?! -- I don't want them to run out of medals!!! There. I said it. Trivial? Not to me! Especially when they ran out at my second Half when I didn't even know that was a possibility!! You might recall I asked the race director if this was a possibility for Go Girl, and he answered with a little hint of, "Seriously? Like that happens?" in his voice. (Um, yes, it happens ... happened to meeeeeeeeee !) It's a lot work. It's going to be a big challenge. I want my bling.

So, last night, I checked out the results of past runs to find out not only how many participate but also the finish time ranges. I learned quite a bit of news that bodes very well for me even if I have a super-crappy run including the fact that the course is open for 5 hours. That is never  the case for a Half, but it speaks highly to the spirit this organization is trying to promote: health and fitness through moving whether that's running or  walking. Bravo, Go Girl people. You totally got that right. (Sadly, my vote is they did not get the shirt color right ... black again! *sigh*)

I'll feel completely settled once the finish and the bling are a reality, but it was awesome to find out some real details instead of just stewing and wondering. That's never productive!

Productive is tomorrow's last long-short run (5 miles), so I will indulge my morning with that and see you after!

No comments:

Post a Comment