Saturday, May 11, 2013

Three Times IS a Charm!

Aaaaaaaannnnd ... She's Back.

Bound and determined to make yesterday the finale of Week of Crap, I went to bed last night optimistic about all kinds of things including this morning's run. I liked the route I mapped, the weather was supposed to be good, and I had something to prove to myself about this distance today. You might remember I mentioned this is the distance that has knocked me off my rocker the two other times I tried to take it on just weeks after finishing a Half. And, by "knocked me off my rocker," I actually mean brought me to a standstill. During the runs.

The most difficult part of the morning was actually getting myself out of bed. I also didn't sleep very well because my leg was firing up again. Yeah, that strain issue still lingers (which is precisely why I stopped playing soccer a couple of years after PC#3 was born -- the time it took to recover  from being knocked around). But, I can't even count the number of runs I've done under less-than-perfect conditions (what is the precise number for "all of them"?), so any complaint I have before heading out can just be added to the list while I move myself along.

The weather was practically perfect, though -- sunny and 47 degrees! The temp sounded potentially chilly, so I threw on my exercise pants -- a regretable choice before hitting my first half-mile mark, but I wasn't about to turn around. I just needed to keep going, stay positive and focus on making this the charmed third try.

Along the way, I was easily in my head just reviewing events of the week, and I was visually distracted by the incremental coins available for confiscation. (In total, I found 10 pennies, a quarter and a BB all of which were strewn along all 10 miles!) The first six miles felt their usual strong. Somewhere after six is when I noticed my body and my mind start to battle:

Body: "Um, you know, this is a long way, and I've not rested since the last big run."
Mind: "Yeah, well, I'm the brain, and I get to tell you what to do, so shut it and keep running!"
Body: "You're not the boss of me."
Mind: "I really am."
Body: "You see, I can  do it. But, maybe I don't want to."
Mind: "I've decided for us that you want to. Besides, you have to finish to get home anyway. So, seriously; shutty!"

I could physically feel the struggle, and I knew I was in a position to make happen whatever I wanted. That wasn't the case the last two times, and I really couldn't do it then. This time, I felt I was able and even wondered if the internal shift was real or psychosomatic. I got in tune with the inside and realized what I felt like was precisely how I felt when training for my very first Half -- equal parts strong and tired. Heck, I can deal with that !
I was past the 8-mile mark here. On those
past attempts, I'd already bottomed out
by this point, so I gave myself a thumbs
up. You just can't see it because I cut it
off. With the camera.
I'm happy to have gone farther, but shhh ...
I don't want to scare it off ...
The last two miles felt just fine. Finding the quarter in the last mile didn't hurt the ol' morale, either!

The second I hit the driveway, Aaron came out to greet me congratulating me on the finish. I smiled.
I really had no desire at that very
moment to smile ... on the outside ...
Recovery didn't take too long. Elly made sure of that:
"I taught you well, Mommy.
You do the Puppy Pace name proud."
And, would you like to see the prizes?
That's a serious stash!!
I'm so glad to have this one behind me! I fully anticipate taking on that upcoming Half is going to be a challenge. I picture being in the reclined position upon crossing the finish line. And, by "reclined," I mean "stretched out on the ground." But, I'm up for it! So, bring it!

Tomorrow's double-the-good because it's not only Rest Day, but it's also Mother's Day. Being the proudest and most blessed mom around, it's sure to be a great day!! I'm also anxious to show you a gift I know I'm getting, so I'll see you then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment