Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Beaten Path Is About To Take a Beating

In the past couple of weeks, I have referenced that things in my real world (aka: the one outside of running) are a bit upheaved. Most of it is not anything any of us don't also encounter; truly, "just busy life" stuff that unfortunately happens all at the same time. (Is that a blessing or a curse? You get a lot overwith in one fell swoop instead of dragging it out, but that one fell swoop is like a wrecking ball ... it's not an easy equation to reconcile!) Then, I have an additional cherry on the cake in terms of an ill family member, all that accompanies that and then some. Put those factors together, and my footing on life itself isn't always completely level these days.

Since writing about my running adventures, part of what I've wanted to communicate is that for all of the benefits you can get from running or from any  kind of exercise, and for all of the rationale you can outline as to why you should do it, life can most definitely get in the way thwarting your plans -- sometimes that's out of your control; sometimes that's by your own decision.

None of this is easy. All of this takes work.

In the past couple of weeks, external factors have afflicted my running. I've certainly completed the runs, and, by and large, I manage to have a good time because I choose to do so. But, I know it can feel better both physically and emotionally but for the outside factors poking at me. (Poking, cold-cocking, it's all in there depending on the topic.) Yes, life has been in my way. And, I didn't ask for most of what's in my path. But, I am in a position to decide what to do with all of it.

And, for tomorrow, I've decided ...
For those issues where there are not only answers but productivity and action, I will continue forth. For those where there is stagnation and ridiculousness, I am releasing myself of expending any further effort because that effort is starting to get in the way of my running. And, that is pissing me off.

I have a big run coming that I really want to take on. I have another right behind it that's even more important because it's with my girl. And, in both cases, I have a blingy medal waiting for me. Real problems? Bring 'em on, and we'll work with them. Nonsense buried underneath perpetual levels of crap? Get outta my way because this kid has some running to do.
See? The I Love To Run Facebook page told me so. That's not
me, by the way. In case you were wondering.
I'll see you after the morning run and will let you know what Morgan Freeman had to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment