Wednesday, May 22, 2013

So Glad I Stuck With It

I recently came across this on Facebook ...
... and, until recently, would not have considered that it might apply to a 5-mile run! I don't remember much about my first 5-miler. I must have blocked a lot of it out of my head, delirious from the amount of sweat and tears I put into it. I do remember, though, that it was when working on that distance that I created the Puppy Pace theme. I was very unhappy and struggling my beeeeehind off working on that distance, struggling so much because I was unrealistic in my (pace) expectations; Elly, who was along with me, was cruising right along at that distance because she was just moving  regardless of what anyone thought. She was happy. I was not. Hmmmm ...

Add in the mix that on that very run, I talked to God and said, "Seriously. I need your help," and He was all, "I already gave it to you ... look down right there next to you."

Hence, the Puppy Pace was born!

It's very appropriate to recall that day today when we set out for another 5-miler together. And, when I say the Puppy Pace was in full force, I ain't whistlin' Dixie. That dog was not going any faster than she darn-well felt like. And, frankly, I wasn't going to try and make her. It was rather warm, and we had a long way to go. It's my job to take care of her, so I let her take the lead entirely. She likes it like that.

About half-way in, she totally took over ...
"Mommy, I'm soooo hoooooot."
(That's hot. Not hoot.)
Was the heat getting to me? What's going on here?
Elly found herself some shade and grass full of dew.
Dew = Thirst quencher. Smart doggie.
"Let's keep it here in the shade, mommy.
This is awesome!" 
Ser-i-ous-ly ... what is going on?
As luck would have it, one of the drive-thrus on our route did not let me down!
We found two pennies ... and a dipping sauce. I left the sauce.
I have my standards.
It's always a good divergence to find cash! It really was getting rather warm out there, but I could only think that Saturday is going to be the same way, so I absorbed the experience as much as possible! While getting in tune with how the temp felt, I was also suddenly in tune with something really rather terrible:
WHAT is that SMELL???
Ahhh ... this was right around the corner, and it was in full use!
Interesting note, I was about to gag through this smell. Elly was
unphased. Just sayin'.
Not too long later, we had another little adventure ...
Check out that grass -- it's almost twice
as tall as Elly!
Out of that grass came an unleashed dog
also bigger than Elly! It's butt is there at
the top of the pic ... trust me if you can't
see it. Fortunately, his owner was near on
a bike, and, more fortunately, this dog
wanted nothing to do with us. WHEW!
We were almost finished at this point (and I told Elly as much to keep her motivated -- I get she doesn't understand the words, but she likes when I talk to her along the way. She smiles her Elly smile.). I realized that by having Elly with me and doing this run her way, I wasn't tired at all. And, I liked it! I'm not trying to make a statement by running; I just want to keep going!

With a few seasonals marks along the end of the route ...
Smells so good ...
... looks so pretty!!
... we finished. Together.
"Thanks for working with me, mommy."
That's what running partners do, Elly.
It appears the weather is going to cooperate (no rain!) for the run upgrade on Saturday, so tomorrow will round out the training schedule! We'll see you after!

No comments:

Post a Comment