Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Release

Just for the record, Morgan Freeman did not actually show up at the end of my run this morning. But, I decided if he had been there, he would have said (in his very there's no mistaking, I'm Morgan Freeman voice): "She ran. And, it was good."

Indeed. It was.

In support of yesterday's mission to release myself of mental baggage, I developed a little mantra in the beginning of my run that lasted the duration. Every now and then, I had, "Just let go ..." run through my head. It was a good reminder that I was out there to indulge myself in the air, the exercise and all of the ways a run cleanses the soul. I was not to use this time to solve problems out of my control. It was a good mantra. Totally dug it and will keep it in my mental arsenal!

I also released myself of trying to finagle my current running schedule on the fly. You might recall I created a schedule based on my normal Half Marathon training schedule in order to fit in another Half. With less than half the time to retrain, I can't cram all of the normal miles in between those races. So, I had some reworking to do. As I get closer to this next one, I often find myself running the numbers trying to determine if I'm truly maximizing my outings without exhausting myself (that's key). Fortunately, I always land on the fact that the only real way to determine if this plan is a good one is to have an outcome on which to base opinion. Until then, I just keep getting my groove on as best I can!

All miles logged today were good for both myself and for my hound. Look how completely blasé she is about her running prowess:
"I rock, mommy. I really do."
She didn't look quite so studly on our cool-down walk, though:
Yeah, not looking so tough with the tongue that's about to fall
to the side! (I love when that happens, by the way!)
I, however, switched my head bling from the usual (and, goes with everything) disco circut to its flip side:
Purple is not only fabulous, but I find it
way more rock star than the silver. And,
that was today's agenda: Rock Star!
The Food Bank won today, too!
Fifteen cents in four miles? Yes, please!
Why on my shoes? Because it's so pretty!
Today wasn't a total and complete turnaround in my head. I'm not a cyborg. It takes intentional decisions and work to change the mental course, but it's work well worth the effort!
... and no shortcut through the mental webs, I know, I know ...
Not every day is a good one, nor are they all bad. Work your way through. Intentionally. And, don't give up on what you're pursuing. And, never, ever give up on yourself.

Let's hear it for a great running reboot! Tomorrow's another day at it, so I'll see you after!

No comments:

Post a Comment