Thursday, May 9, 2013

Because I Run, No One Gets Punched

You know what hacks me off? It's when you figure out a solution to a problem, but then you forget to implement the solution. Take, for instance, yesterday's awesome "Let it goooooo" mantra. It worked yesterday because I actually used it. Today, it didn't work. And, by "didn't work," I mean I forgot about it, so it never had a chance. *sigh* Yeah, it's still a bit of a rough week over here by my life's standards (seriously, someone's going to get punched soon), but I persevere. And, frankly, there's not much more easy-to-see proof of that part of my make-up than by my running tenacity!

Hey, Nancy: Remember the time that running when life was rocky felt as impossible as this?
Yeah, I do, too.

But, I am as stubborn as I am tenacious, so let's see how this morning's run went down!

The forecast was for rainrainrain, but it wasn't happening at the time I was heading out. Whew!
It was here, it left, and it was coming back. This was about to
be a race against the clouds!
It was warmer this morning (when's the last time I saw 62 degrees in the morning? Not complaining!), and, you can guess, it was mighty humid. You know the times -- when you feel like you're swimming through the air. I can't help but wonder if humidity bothers Elly, but, if it does, she shows no signs of it. She had a great time zeroing in on squirrels as they skidooed under cars (parked ones ...), and she sniffed her little heart out along a road we rarely frequent.
There aredandelions around here this Spring ... ev.ery.where.
Speaking of smelling things, is it just me, or is it sometimes righteously unfortunate that smells can also come with taste? This is the thought I had when passing by a squished something-or-other in the road. That's all I have to say about that.

This, however, had a lovely smell. I had to stop and take a whiff:
Ahhhh ... favorite color and fabulous smell ... mmmm ...
With about three-quarters of a mile to go, the sprinking started. Elly's poo bags had not yet been required, so I put my camera in one of them while I made the decision to detour out of our way just a smidge to check a drive-thru for money. If it was going to rain on us, that little detour wasn't going to make any difference, so I had to check! It paid off, too, as I super-scored a dime there as well as two other pennies along the last two stretches of our route! I do so love the many ways running pays off for me and for the Food Bank!!

With that, the pound hound and I finished up ...
"Let's hear it for finishing! Let's hear it
for the nap that's waiting for me at home!"
... and, we just beat the rain!
"Whew! Good thing, mommy, you know how sweet things
melt in water, and I'd hate to be a puddle ..."
Here's the thing -- as said before, I'm really not dealing with much more of life crap than everyone else does. Not every day is easy, and things come along that need attention. Period. It's just crazy how you can see your life reflected in something like exercise. I mean, I swear  I've really run  the runs and earned the medals I've shown; you just wouldn't necessarily believe that based solely on the past two weeks! *SIGH*

In fact, I was talking to a friend of mine today (who bikes and swims) who was recapping her latest life-capades when she added she had her first good ride in weeks after a whole series of efforts that made her feel as though someone adjusted her seat and removed her pedals without telling her. I do not believe in misery loving company because it feels like an excuse to wallow, but I do like exchanging stories that make your experiences feel more normal.

So, my friend will continue to swim and bike while I continue to run (I just realized she and I could share a triathalon ... all the more reason she and I rock). And, we continue forth not just in the name of being stubborn but because we have our eyes on our own prize. That's how it goes a lot of the time: It's not about right now, it's about what you know you want later.

And, by golly I want my Go Girl bling! Unless it rains a lot. Then I'll just take the 5K wine glass and start the training over for the cupcake bling with my girl!!

Tomorrow, we rest!! Ahhhhhhhh ... see you then ...


No comments:

Post a Comment