Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Way To Win

Before getting to today's run, I have to share with you this little snippet from my day. I think it's a perfect example of how crazy-stupid-hard we can all be on ourselves when there was no reason to do so at all. Check it out: I was at the pool with the kiddos (Yeah!!!! Pool with my pals!!!) when an acquaintance of mine, who is a runner, and I engaged in the following:

She: Hey, Nancy, did you do the Go Girl Run?
Me (I know it's "I", but this rhymes with She): Yes, I did. You?
She: Yeah. I was watching for you, then I got cold and had to go.
Me: I suspect you were in well before I was!
She: I had a friend who wanted to break 1:40, so I was helping her.
(This acquaintance was actually working, so that the conversation ended here is totally normal.)

Years ago (like ... two years ago? Last year?), the way this exchange went would have leveled my confidence because I would have been foolish enough to compare the two of us. I still would have run, but I would have had a mental barrier to conquer. And, tears to dry. And, some self pity in which to wallow. And, whining to do to Aaron. It's like I've actually experienced this ...

I also know I'm not alone. We hear others' tales, and we wipe ourselves out. Where we all go wrong is in The Comparison (duuh ... duuh ... duuuuuuuuuuh ). Doesn't someone usually lose when there's a comparison? Is that really necessary here? I think not. I'd rather win, so here's what I realize about me in relation to pretty much everyone else: We are all unique. We are all not designed the same. We do not have the same life styles. We do not have the same goals. We do not have the same stories. Per.i.od.

Take it from the owl ... care more about your goals and story than someone else's. That's how you win. At least, that's my translation of this super-cool owl.

Instead of taking something personal that had absolutely nothing to do with me, I cheered her victory, I continue to embrace mine, and I look forward to my next goal as optimistically as I did before talking with my lightening-fast friend! (1:40 translates into the 7-minute mile zone ... 7 minutes per mile for 13 miles. That makes me tired thinking about it ...)

I leave my message as simple as this because it is that simple. Focus on yourself, and you'll be just fine! Actually, you'll be better than fine -- you'll be great!!

Speaking of great, I have three little topics to cover! Let's go!

Topic 1: This morning's run. Okay, I admit that when I was dragging myself out of bed, I was recalling my enthusiasm from yesterday's blog and trying to remember what was so great about getting up early to run. But, I seemed pretty excited yesterday, so I trusted that, and got myself ready!

It was a great run, indeed! My muscles didn't groan at me like they did on my first run after April's Half, I passed weeds taller than I (no picture -- in a bit of a hurry), and Elly had herself a good ol' time! She almost wiped me out (for real) when a truck came up behind us scaring the crap out of her. (The simple dog doesn't understand the concepts of curbs and sidewalks.) She gave me a very solid hip check, but I kept my balance! Whew! There was no money, but we banked our three miles on a very humid morning! Let the Half Marathon training commence!
One of these was in my left shoe and the other in my right the
entire way!! They kept floating around my feet, but since they
didn't hurt, I let it go so I could finish up! Oh, and, yes, Lizzy
is right there inspecting my feet. They smelled fabulous.
Topic 2: Virtual Firework Race Preparations continue. Look what PC#2 and I got at the store today for our Firework shirts!
Whee!! Colorful bling for the cupcakes!! I'm pretty sure one
of those lines translates as 'fake diamonds' ... you know, in case
you were confused ...
Topic 3: Running Residuals. In case you were wondering, which you most certainly were not, I am finally doing laundry today from the weekend. Isn't it cool how your socks can sometimes hold a contorted shape?
There's something just funny to me about
that. It helps that they're mine and not
anyone else's funk ... Yay, Go Girl funk!
By the way, having nothing to do with any of the day's topics -- want an idea of what Elly would look like with upright ears?
"Excuse me, mommy, but I just ran my little heart out and
almost died of a heart attack from the scary truck. No pictures
while I rest my wearies away ..."
Tomorrow's another short run! (I seriously must get to bed earlier for these early weekday mornings!!) Here's to hoping the rain holds off long enough to eek the run out!! I'll see you after no matter how it's accomplished!!

No comments:

Post a Comment