Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I Love Me Some Expo'in!!

Welcome back, Race Fans!! I'm still taking a little break from running while my muscles forgive me for running harder than I actually train the exhilaration of the Half calms down, but I still wanted to share one of my very favorite parts of this whole endeavor: The Expo!! ('Scuse me ... but, that's ExMO for this run!) That's where the excitement really begins because not only is there awesome stuff to scope and/or purchase, but that's also where the shirt, bib and race swag are!! Come to mama!!

It was windy and starting to rain when we got there, but that didn't stop us from a quick pic outside!
I love that Pit Crew #2 caught this little moment ...
So, I won't run in the rain unless I'm caught in it, but I will
stand in it to make sure everyone got in the picture.
Once inside, PC#2 found herself a friend:
I caught the live version soon thereafter!
If there's gonna be a cow, you gotta have
a pic! It's buff. It has abs.
As soon as we walked in, I got my event bag (for holding 'all' of my purchases, brochures and PC#3's jacket, of course, while in the ExMo) and my bib in my very favorite color!!
It's like it was made just for me!
You had to walk through most of the vendors to get to the stairs where the shirts lived. It reminded me of exiting an amusement park ride and having to walk through the gift shop to get out (didn't they know I have my sights set on some goodies?)! So, before scoping, I went to get my shirt:
No one is going to miss me in that shirt!
Shirt note and event kudos: The pre-race info included a blurb about how the shirts were in and fit to size (We had to be told? Flag number one ...). It went on to read that if someone wants to trade an unworn one for a different size, the event staff would not only be more than happy to do so at the race (pretty normal), but also if they don't have the desired size, one would be ordered and mailed (big flag number two ...). I tend to wear tech shirts a size larger than cotton, so that's what I ordered. When I picked it up, I could tell by looking it was going to be of the wet-suit fit (confirmed by a later try-on), so we took it with us to the race. There was a steady flow of people at the tent trading shirts, and one of the volunteers confirmed the shirts were running small. You just know that pre-race info was sent out when they got the shipment, opened the box and said, "Ohhhh ... craaaaaaaap ..." I have to hand it to the event staff for bending over backward to make this right!!

After the shirt, we went down to get the cowbells ...
... and, then, it was time to scope the goods!!

From a balcony across from the shirt pick up, I already saw the main place I wanted to visit:
More wicking headbands?! Yes, please!! I enjoyed seeing these ...
Hey, whatever it takes!
Because, really, you don't have a choice! I prefer to stay away
from the puking part, though ...
Laughed. Out. Loud. It should just go ahead and say "I" instead
of "You"! 13 miles of running will do that to a girl, just sayin'.
That cracked me up!
... but, I bought these!!

Hungry Girl margaritas, baby!! And, do you know how stoked
I am for two more colors of the puppy prints?!?
We spent most of our time at this vendor because (a) it's cool, (b) it takes some time to sift through and find the new ones, and (c) PC#2 also loves them and takes more time to not just sift but to decide than I ever have! Fine by me: the more we bought together, the cheaper they were! Scope, baby, scope!

The biggest family emotional up and down (pardon the drama) happened at the table promoting the upcoming Hot Chocolate run. It's a 5K or a 15K run, and let me tell you the swag for that race is amazing from the fleece running jacket to the chocolate to the sweet, sweet medal ...
Unfortunately, it would require a mortgage on the house to afford 4 entries. That's bad enough, but when you're talking serious non-refundable cash for a December, could-be-warm-could-be-icy-and-cancelled kind of event, I decided to let everyone down gently without walking away and pretending to consider it!

Remember the High Five zone I mentioned yesterday? That took place at a local U-Pick Farm also represented at the Expo.
They had produce for sale and samples of dried tomatoes, but my draw was their display of festive Fall goods!!

We were at the ExMO before it got too terribly crowded, so we went through it fast but thoroughly! I certainly scored what I hoped for as did PC#2!

Speaking of shopping, we went to a local Life Is Good store where PC#2 pointed this out for me ...
... while I noted I should pick this up and wear it during the race:

HA! Good stuff all the way around!!

That's a wrap on the weekend! It's about the whole experience, not just the miles, so thank you for coming along all of my tales! And, tomorrow? I'll check in tomorrow with a forecast of what's to come ...! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment