Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Unsuspecting Pooch

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 163 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 829.3 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 346.50 Money Found For Food Bank: $53.13

The moon's still there; why am I up?
Within the first 10 minutes of waking up, there is nothing that sounds worse than going for a run. To be fair, the only thing that sounds awesome during that time is 'going back to bed,' so it really isn't about the running. Running doesn't appreciate being the morning scapegoat. In fact, if it could talk, running's response to my emotional state would be, "Oh, right, it's me. Because getting up and working sounds great right now? And, how 'bout that shower ... you just know that's going to feel fabulous? And, don't even get me started about how excited you must be having to get out from under the covers to go to the bathroom! Get up, soldier, stop the drama and get to steppin'!!"
Running can get a little angry when it feels disrespected.

I will report, though, that running disrespected my dog today. From out of nowhere came a little yelp! from Elly, and, the next thing I knew, she was limping. AGAIN. Didn't we just do that this summer? The yelp was way quieter than before when she tweaked her back leg, but she most definitely had some unfortunate step or turn or ... something. She continued on pretty well (unlike last time when the run was o.v.e.r.), but she had to dig a little deeper in the last quarter mile.
"This kind of sucks, mommy."
Oh, and then check this crap out ... So, there we were, jogging along, when I hit a sidewalk jut. Even though I thankfully didn't fall, it's never a great thing to nail one of those. It's even worse when the aftermath of it makes you kick.your.dog. It was a lightening-fast chain reaction: foot met sidewalk jut while other foot lost stability in its swift -- and, might I add 'involuntary and impulsive -- effort to lunge forward and catch me before falling only to kick dog. AAAAAAAA!! I am under no impression it physically hurt her, but it was terribly surprising. And, being a dog, I know it hurt her heart a little bit. OUCH.

She finished like a champ, but she was done. You can see it all over her sweet face.
"I'm just over it today, mommy."
Tomorrow's a break from running, and I think we both need it! Elly's about to get a good handful of days in rest mode; her leg clearly stiffens up after her many stretches of naps, so she's been limping around here this morning. It's been a day of extra hugs and kisses for her! I'll check in tomorrow with what just has to be a better day!! See you then ...

No comments:

Post a Comment