Sunday, October 12, 2014

Security Is a Schedule To Hold On To

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 161 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 820.5 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 341.7 Money Found For Food Bank: $52.48

If I am to believe my own informal observations, it has become apparent that I overdo it a little the week after a Half. Once upon a time, I gave myself an entire week off from running after a race. Of course, I'm not sure my body would have allowed for anything more than that, but whatever. It still happened. At some point along the way, I lost my mind started making different kinds of goals that either required or motivated me to run soon after a Half. Because there was a day I couldn't have run soon after crossing the finish line -- any finish line -- , getting back out there quickly feels like something of a triumph. However, it also makes me really darned tired every time I do it, so I'm beginning to question the wisdom of doing so.

You'll note I didn't say anything about planning to change it. Evidently, I'm just complaining.

I did complain to myself a little bit this morning about going out to run. I first considered getting up and out around 7 a.m. until I heard the pitter-patter of a steady rainfall. I took that as my direction to just stay under the covers! An hour later, I was again awake and heard no rain. I went with the no excuses theory and got myself up (to Elly's extreme delight).

A little shakey-shake will mess with a
girl's ear.

It was drizzling, but that didn't deter us (seriously ... what has gotten into me? I used to act like I'd melt running in the rain ...). Many of my muscles were stiff and sore -- some from yesterday's activities and some that haven't yet quite recovered from the Cowbell -- but this run shook them out for the most part. I should really just get on board with the idea that running can loosens the ol' muscles (seems counter-intuitive), but it surprises me every time it happens.

It's kind of nice to continue to be amazed at something that is probably supposed to be the norm. It's much like the continued wonder I experience watching the show as the seasons change ...
I love all of the emerging colors, most notably the red vines climbing the trees!
 After 3.1 miles, a dime, tons-o-BBs and a few canine potty stops, we wrapped it up ready to get dry:
The regular running schedule resumes this week, so even if I don't know exactly how far I'm going, I at least have a minimum target and a schedule of days to run! Those factors together are more than half the battle, so I see it as a winning plan!

Start your week of just right, and I'll check in on tomorrow's Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment