Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Looking Back, Looking Ahead

Today’s Numbers: Nancy's Days Run: 159 Nancy's 2014 Mileage: 812.6 Elly's 2014 Mileage: 333.8 Money Found For Food Bank: $52.28
 
The moon eclipse this
morning ... better late
than not at all!
Happy Wednesday!! I do like Wednesdays. It's like an evaluative point for me because I can see where I am for the week in what I wanted to accomplish, and I can see where I need to go. I like that kind of incremental point. It's much like my strategy on a long run where I understand the biggest goal, but I use points along the way to keep perspective and to reassess and/or adjust the plan if need be.

And, just like when I reach any kind of end point, I take a little time to look back and evaluate while I simultaneously keep wheels in motion. So, that's what we're doing today as I say goodbye to the 2014 MO'Cowbell run while the bigger goal has some bites taken out of it!

The Personal Review: When I signed up for this run, I had three action items that came together to describe what I affectionately called, "The Unbroken Tour." Let's see how they panned out:
  1. Run the entire course unbroken, as in 'no walking'. Just because I haven't done that in a while.: We now all know I walked a stretch up that hill on Mile 10, and I'm not sorry about it. So, I didn't meet that particular challenge, but I'm happy with my outcome, so who cares. Yes, it's that simple.
  2. Not letting my past haunt me: Spending a lot of time in the area where I grew up was really quite an experience. I could feel pieces of my past pull at me in very positive, nostalgic ways. That they were positive, signaled to me that they are right where they belong. It was good to 'come home again' as well as to make new, really fun memories with my own family. Goal: Accomplished!
  3. Participating with my brother: I previously described my relationship with him as one that has 'run the gamut,' and that's crazy-accurate. He did not attend, so, really, this idea wasn't so much attained or failed as it was an unrealized hope. I learned a lot from the process of even inviting him, so, in that way, I'd call it a success. But, I will leave it at that.
Overall mission? Totally accomplished having run my 11th Half Marathon in good spirit from start to finish! If it's fun, it's a success as far as I'm concerned! Anything else is truly extra!

The Go-Ahead Run: This morning resumed my regular morning runs which was a good way to shake out the residuals of the race and to refocus on what's to come! I'm still going after my end-of-the-year goal of 1,000 miles, so I always have that to look forward to (big picture) while I create incremental targets along the way.

As of this morning, between now and the end of the year, I needed to cover 192.2 miles to reach that 1,000-mile goal. To reach that bigger goal, I only need to average 4 runs per week for 12 week, each week covering 15.2 miles. Assuming no injury, I think it's safe to say the goal is in the bag!

This morning, I nicked a piece out of it with a 4.8-mile cruise through the streets I used to train. The weather was fabulous, I sported my new screamin' NEON Cowbell shirt, and the run felt like a thank you to the streets that continue to serve me so well.

Days between now and December 31st hold a virtual cupcake run, our annual family Turkey Trax
They're starting to turn!!
endeavor on Thanksgiving, and a decision to make about which Half to run in April which I want to decide soon. I'm sure something else fun will pop up. That, or I'll create it myself!

Here's to looking ahead and I looking right in front of ourselves! There's good everywhere you turn if you're willing to see it and work for it! It's supposed to rain tomorrow morning, so the current plan is to check in on a Rest Day! See you then ...

No comments:

Post a Comment