Sunday, August 5, 2012

Just Keep CHEERING!

When I woke up this morning, I turned on the Olympics and caught the end of the Women's Marathon. Man, those women can run! It was neat to see the end ... who was edging out whom, watching the last-minute oomph of energy to break away from the pack, feeling for the woman who was in the front pack of 4 runners until the very end when she wasn't even close -- by their standards -- to medal ... There was a huge range of emotions going on there at the end and just a surge of human spirit every time someone crossed the finish! I have absolutely no idea what it takes to commit yourself to be that superior in this sport (not picking it up as something to do at age 39 is probably a good start! Ha!), but I do know how to admire it!

Speaking of admiring, it's time for a SHOUT OUT that I should have inserted a few days ago ... Today's goes out to my friend Mary Kate who registered for her very first HALF MARATHON!! WAHOO and CONGRATULATIONS!! Mary Kate embodies the spirit of "Find something that scares you ... then do it," and I totally tip my hat to her for signing up for this run!! To combat the butterflies, she has a plan, and she's committed. BRAVO. Those two aspects are definitely going to carry her to the finish line in fabulous fashion!!

She was nervous "going public" telling anyone that she signed up, but I'm SO GLAD she did because then she can benefit from all of us rallying behind her!! I totally fed off of the support of others when I first ventured out, so I'm a huge fan of soliciting it!! Her run is a few weeks after mine, but we live far away from each other, so we'll kind of be training together over email (don't you just love technology?!) I love rooting people on, and I am so fortunate to have another person in my corner, too!!

Cheering on others to support them being the best they can be no matter the endeavor is not only a great gift to give, but it's so much fun!! Hooray for a substantial win-win!!

When I was almost finished with my very first Half in 2010, I looked like this:
Throw your hands in the air when you are ready to cel-e-brate!!
Ohhhh yeahhhhhh ...!!!
Right after I finished, I looked like this:
My face hurt from smiling so much! ... after I caught my breath
... and, after I choked back a few tears ... Then I was smiling!!
Those are just examples of exactly how I want her to feel on her big day!!!
I'M SO PROUD OF YOU, MARY KATE!!!! 

See you all tomorrow after the first official training run this go around!! 

1 comment:

  1. WOW -- THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I am so honored and inspired!! Your encouraging words and your own dicipline have motivated me and kept me going. I still can't believe I am doing this but You have helped me set realistic goals and given me faith in myself that I will actually make them. I want YOU to know what your friendship and mentorship has meant to me!!! You have taught me to embrace the pace that gets me there!! THANK YOU NANCY!!! My heart is full!!

    ReplyDelete