Saturday, August 11, 2012

Ants In Pants!

Okay, I forgot to check the temperature when I headed out this morning, but it was only 69 degrees by the time I'd run 4 miles with the pooch, hung out to cool down and showered. It was a seriously awesome morning to run!!

Do you think that's why Elly was front and center when I went to the kitchen to put on my shoes?
"Here I am, mommy. I'm ready."
Seriously, the girl saw me with shoes in hand (and, she did not hear the shower which is her real indicator about my plans!), and she immediately jumped up and just sat. Waiting. For real. I walked around a little bit checking in on everyone, and she just waited.
Yup, this is a totally different pic from
above. They're taken more than a minute
apart. Do you think she wanted something?
Before getting her leash, I did grab half of a banana before heading out. I don't often like to eat before running unless it's (a) half of a banana because it settles very quickly and is good fuel, or (b) a very long run and I'm going to need something in me to keep me going without feeling completely depleted. This morning's banana bites were perfect.
Have you ever seen such an artistic picture of a banana?
This was not perfection to Elly, however, as she held still while transforming her gaze into evil and laser stare:
"You will do as I say ..."
To Elly's pleasure, I finally grabbed her leash. Do you think she was excited?

Her movement was very Usain Bolt ... I didn't know what I
was in for when we got outside!
Out the door we went, and Elly just took off. I actually had to pick up my pace very quickly as soon as we hit the street because she just galloped!
"Let's go, let's go, let's gooooooooooo!!!"
"Seriously, mommy, pick it up!
I'm the puppy and still set the pace!"
"Wait ... something exciting is over here ...
... and, over there ... Oh, my, this is about to tire me out!"
It's been a very long time since I've run behind her, but we fell back into our norm around Mile 1: She chilled out (that's what happens when you go too fast out of the gate, Elly), and I finally got my head in the run. That's usually what Mile 1 is for, isn't it? It's my adjustment/warm-up mile for sure, I just have to remember that that's what's going on and not that I lost all running ability overnight!

This particular route is both good and bad. The bad part is that the first two miles are predominantly up hill. But, it's an out-and-back, so you know what that means for the last two!! I love the last two --they make me feel like a rock star!

The most notable thing about today's run was how the drop in temperature clearly affected everyone in the positive. Every, single person out today was friendly! All bikers waved. Other runners and walkers waved or otherwise acknowledged me. Those in cars were patient waiting for me or instigated giving me the right of way. It's amazing what not feeling suffocated just by stepping outside will do!!

We'd already gone 3 miles and had not yet found any change, so you know I was surprised when I found this right at Mile 3.5!
Whee!!
Take a closer look ... it's had a very brutal life!
Seriously, what happened to that penny?
Elly and I wrapped up 4 in good form (and fashion in Elly's case) and had some good post-run cuddle time!
How very, "Yo, ho, ho and a bottle of tequila" of me. Just sayin'
that if I ever wanted to know what I'd look like late at night as a
pirate on a ship, I think we now know ...
Runnin' girls!
And, of course, a celebratory squeeze!
Aaron came out to visit with me after the photo shoot. He'd just finished his exercise biking and Total Gyming, so we were in good, stinky company together!
Those who stink together stay together.
These temps are not going to last, but I'll take 'em while they're here! I'm so thankful for them!! I'm also thankful Elly handled these miles without issue. You know, issues of the throwing up variety. Good girl!!

Tomorrow's a Rest Day! It's also the gold medal game for Team USA Men's basketball!! That's a great one-two on the day!! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment