Monday, August 27, 2012

And, Sometimes, You Eat Ice Cream

It's not often I'm cryptic in my message, but I know in the past few days, it's been that way when I've talked about Life outside of running. I'm no fan of bringing up issues in a round-about way, but I had trouble figuring out where to put what I was feeling amidst something that was happening really fast.

The bottom line is that last week, I had my yearly, routine mammogram only to be called back for another looksie. That's a phone call I never wanted, and for as many times as the situation was presented as, "We're being cautious and just making sure nothing's there," I won't pretend it didn't shake me up. A lot.

At the same time, all of the information we were able to get pointed to all things turning out well. And, when I say we went on a fast, insistent mission to talk to anyone involved from my doctor's nurse to the radiologist and everyone in between, I'm not kidding.

As the information was simultaneously scary and seemed like all would be well, I was really conflicted about out how to feel or what was worth, if you will, bringing up. So, by and large, I chose to treat it as a stumbling block that didn't need to made into a hairy deal unless it actually was one.

So, we waited for today's follow up. And, isn't the wait sometimes just, plain torturous?
Rock on, Mary Engelbreit day-by-day
calendar, and, well said, Arthur Koestler,
well said.
Not only did we have to wait, but it's during that time I had a choice about how to conduct my daily life. My choices felt like: Crumble or Soldier On. (I chose the latter sprinkled with some roller coaster anger and tears right before bedtime. Just being real.) Soldiering On meant continuing with all regular routines including running as scheduled. In fact, I found myself pulling from the same pool of perseverance I draw from to take on a long run to get through the past few days. Funny how that translates. The end of the day, like every race's finish line, was going to come no matter what. And, like in a race, I had to decide what that was going to look like.

Cutting to the chase, I'm so very thankful my outcome was a great one. No problems, no issues with the tissues. I don't want to overplay my thankfulness as it's not like I dodged a bullet. I really didn't even dodge a paper wad. But, I'm still hugely thankful for this outcome. And, I'm thankful for the diligence of the doctors. And, I'm thankful -- so thankful -- for the advancements made in the last two decades since I was first educated on the topic of breast health. Holy moly, it has come a long way!!

And, I'm so thankful for the support I had, for the support I know I would have had had I asked for it, and for Aaron's very big shoulders to hug and cry on. He's my biggest cheerleader every step of the way whether through a race or just through the day.

And, finally ... Ladies: Get yourself checked. Be strong, and get checked.

 Getting my running schedule back on track this week will be something of a celebration. Running the Komen Run next month will be more humbling than in the past. In the meantime, I very cheerfully spent part of my afternoon playing a very favorite volleyball game with PC#3 in the pool. You could also call it Spike Ball (name says it all), and it's awesome.
The center of attention in Spike Ball ... have I mentioned how
much I love the pool? Just a side note ...
Then, we capped off the evening with a celebratory trip for some ice cream. Because, sometimes, that's what the occasion calls for.
That's a turtle Blizzard. That's good stuff.
But, did the evening call for this?
There was a little girl in the booth behind
us staring. So, Aaron made faces at her.
Even though I said to not scare her, she
proved me wrong with her big smiles at
my man's distortions. Good job, Aaron!
Yes, yes it did.

Tomorrow's the normal Rest Day, and I look forward to seeing you then, rested and refocused!

No comments:

Post a Comment