Monday, August 6, 2012

And ... We're ... OFF!!

When I checked out the temperature status before heading out today, I could hardly believe my eyes ... the thermostat read 64!!! No, I wasn't standing on my head in an effort to make those early-day 90s a 60 ... it really was 64!! I bee-lined it to Elly's leash, hooked her up and we hit it!!

It was just glorious during the first stretch!! I started to sweat pretty quickly, but the air was just right to hit the sweat and give me a little chill! I even heard Elly pant in a regular way instead of her this-heat-sucks way. Ahhh ... this was the perfect way to officially kick off the Half Marathon training!!

What's great about a Fall Half is that you know the odds are heavily in your favor to have better weather on the day of the run than you typically had throughout your whole training. There is no way an October Half will have the brutal summer temperatures we've had. Even a warm October day is better than most of the training days! The worst is behind you!! Having done a September Half (where it can be just as humid as late summer) and a Spring one (where most of the training is done through colder -- my preference -- months and the day of the run is a total crap shoot on temperature and conditions), you can bet I am stoked knowing this next one is late October. Just saying that sounds comfortable, doesn't it? Say it with me slowly ... laaaaaate Oc - toooooooo - berrrrrrrr (there's even a brrrrrrrrr at the end! Fabulous!).

But, to get there means a number of weeks, lots of days and many miles to go. Before today's run, there were 187 miles to log before I step in the start corrals. I have a healthy distance to go, but this morning's run definitely stoked the fire (even though I was a total crank when Aaron told me it was time to get out of bed ... some things never change ... nor should we expect them to ...).

Elly loved it, too!
Oh my gosh I love that dog!!!
And, even though I chose a route for its few distractions for Elly (we needed to get down to business today) vs. one where the cha-ching is usually boutiful, I was rewarded anyway!
Eleven more cents for the Food Bank!! Yeah!!!
For all I can say about the wonderful temperature, suffice it to say that even under the coldest of conditions, I still sweat a lot. So, the eye sting factor was still in play today:
Ouchie. Just sayin'.
That's okay, I'll take it. It comes with the territory. The ouch-factor I can control is that of switching out my shoes ... I've been meaning to lace up my new ones for a few weeks, and now is the time. It's not only perfect timing at the beginning of training, but my old ones are worn to the point that my feet hurt after a run. For crying out loud, I need to switch my shoes!!!

And, there's the wrap-up of the beginning of this next adventure! The week's forecast shows great promise for awesome morning temps ... hooray!! Tomorrow's should match today, but, let's face it, I don't care because it's Rest Day!! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment