Thursday, January 9, 2014

Whatever It Takes

You know how yesterday I was complaining reporting about how much my legs hurt and how I needed to Icy Hot 'em or take some acetaminophen? My ultimate solution was to get on the couch and fall asleep! I don't really think it was just my legs hurting; I think it was head to toe, but I was in denial. Then, before I knew it, I was d'sleep. Ahhhh ...
Things are much better today which worked out well not being a running day. I'll take the pocket of rest while doing my weights and pondering just what I want to do for tomorrow's run. Yeah, we're still in that stretch of freedom where I can decide what I want to do and when I want to do it. Part of me enjoys that freedom, but most of me craves the discipline of a schedule and its expectations. But, since that's what most of the year is about, I do think it's important to chillax from it for the few weeks I have room with which to play.

These "down" times are exactly why it's important to have a way to motivate myself, though. I've encouraged anyone who asks that when they start running they should create some form of motivation especially if it accounts for progress: number of days run, number of miles run, that kind of thing. The days and miles tally I maintain exists exactly for that reason: motivation! I like seeing the numbers go up! And, the more they go up, the more I want them to!

When I first started running, I set a distance goal and just pounded away at that. That was okay, but if I had it to do over again, it would be about the daily tallies adding up while working on the bigger picture. Let's face it, getting out there and trying your hardest only to wind up short of your goal is not only discouraging, but it also creates a hole you have to dig yourself out of. Continually. Keeping your eye on the prize while literally watching your effort and improvement keeps the tone positive!

According to the "I Love To Run" Facebook page, Jerry Seinfeld kept himself motivated to write by having a big calendar on his wall that he would mark off daily as he wrote. Evidently, he liked seeing the chain of X's grow, therefore, he was motivated to make it longer. In the same vein, the ILTR people are offering a big running calendar ...
This pic is straight from their page ... you can
find a way to order on their page, too.
... so as to mark off every day running thereby actually seeing the progress and success.

While I have no room on my walls for something this big, I love the idea. Anything to not just motivate but to also reward hard work is a great idea. Actually, it's not just a great idea; to me, it's just necessary. (And, fun!)

I'm holding tight to both my commitment to do something every day and to watching my tallies go up as I go through what can only be called the annual, post-holiday slump! Today, it was weights. Tomorrow, the numbers go up! (By the way, I found no money today, running or otherwise, but Pit Crew #3 found 3 cents. PC#2 typically finds change. I'm so proud.)

Do whatever you need to keep yourself motivated, and I'll see you after the morning run!

No comments:

Post a Comment